External powerhead?

SamH

i dont think that pump would be suitable, some of the pond pumps you can buy bigger higher quality ones(i have a 1300lph pondmaster) can be used inline

the pump would most likely have to be below the water level ,not above the tank as it would be too difficult to prime otherwise

I had a fluval 404 running like that for about 3-4 years. The pump in the 404 died so I had a powerhead feeding it. There's no reason your idea shouldn't work fine. Only issue was that the cannister was at a bit of positive pressure due to being force fed rather than having the water sucked from it like usual. With the 404 it caused the handles that tighten the top down to pop open a few times until I started wrapping a couple loops of tape around the whole thing to keep them down.:)

powerheads are usually designed to run in tank so generate a lot of flow but not much pressure

putting the canister level with the tank will help

Should be fine, the 1300LPH powerhead I was using still pumped nearly as much as the 404 did. And raising the cannister won't change anything in a closed system unless you shorten the hoses, it will still be pumping at the same static head regardless of cannister height.

i run an aquiss 2200 with a swimming pool paper cartridge filter as a pre filter there is a pondmaster pump running inline to boost the pressure before the pre filter . im also running a broken sicce genio external on a 7l tank its powered by a 400lph pump in the tank it works well . also my fluval 1o1 is helped out buy a small internal filter. it may be easier to use a tray above the tank like a top filter than find a water tight container and plumb it so its water tight

Cavitation?

The formation of vapour bubbles of a flowing liquid in a region where the pressure of the liquid falls below its vapor pressure. Cavitation is usually divided into two classes of behavior: inertial (or transient) cavitation, and noninertial cavitation. Inertial cavitation is the process where a void or bubble in a liquid rapidly collapses, producing a shock wave. Such cavitation often occurs in pumps, propellers, impellers, and in the vascular tissues of plants. Noninertial cavitation is the process in which a bubble in a fluid is forced to oscillate in size or shape due to some form of energy input, such as an acoustic field. Such cavitation is often employed in ultrasonic cleaning baths and can also be observed in pumps, propellers, etc.

Since the shock waves formed by cavitation are strong enough to significantly damage moving parts, cavitation is usually an undesirable phenomenon. It is specifically avoided in the design of machines such as turbines or propellers, and eliminating cavitation is a major field in the study of fluid dynamics.

probably more than neccessary but I for one found the extra bit interesting.... especially the 2 types...

Yeah, cavitation.:) Capitation would be...I dunno, putting a head on something as the opposite of decapitation?

I don't know if the pumps we're likely to use would have any cavitation problems, but I did find that the powerhead I used on my 404 was noisier when sucking through a restriction than blowing. Same for a couple laguna pond pumps I have. Possibly is cavitation, it's hard to tell. Sounded more like the impeller rattling.