posting fish now its walmer

aaron11

Unless we are expecting a cold snap I would post without heatpacks but would send them overnight. You have no idea how long they may take otherwise.

Double bagged and surrounded by newspaper will be fine. Scrunched up newspaper is a good insulator.

I can see where Barrie is coming from, but alot of people I know are keeping guppies outside already so I doubt they would die even in a cold snap when being shipped in a insulated polybox.. Personally I would leave it upto the buyers discretion if they want to pay for a heatpad it is at their cost and they aren't very pricey really.

$1.50 if you bought them a couple of months ago to $2.50?

if they do die and you need to resend, the postage alone costs way more than that

I wonder how many deaths in shipping are attributable to heat loss versus lack of O2 and incorrect packaging. Not that I wouldn't recommend them and I do use them but the lack/loss of heat-especially this time of year- would be low on my worry list.

I don't feed fish for over a day before shipping, have as few fish per bag as practical and have only as much water as is needed and as much air as I can in both bags. As long as the courier doesn't muck it up -is always my worry

From what I have seen with fish sent to me is the fish usually die from incorrect bagging (ie getting stuck in corners or bags leaking out), or too many being stuck in a bag and bashing each other up usually only 1 left half alive in the bag all others smashed to a pulp.

The other major one I have encountered is the couriers loosing fish, but most of the ones that have been lost I have shipped have made it because they were well enough bagged to survive a few days.

Pretty much all of the fish I have received have arrived with cold heatpads (including the 40 hour ones) that have reactivated when exposed to fresh air so I don't think heat is a big killer.

And if you didn't by them off the forum a couple months ago and you've never shipped before then you'll probably spend several days trying to track them down and paying a premium.

People have their guppies living in bins/ponds outside during this time of year...so depending on what part of the country you are shipping to they will handle it just fine if you can't get your hands on a heat pad.

$1.50 if you bought them a couple of months ago to $2.50?

if they do die and you need to resend, the postage alone costs way more than that

cool I will ring them and ask about their over night courier

they are the company i use at the moment but the guy comes when ever he feels like it

IE i can ring at 10 am he will come at 5 Pm lol

he got the sack so I will wait a few weeks

Do they pick up the stuff? :bounce: