Plywood Tanks...

Charlie

Excuse my ignorance, but do lizards wee much? any moisture, heated by the lights will cause the MDF to swell , it's prolly not really ideal, ply would be a better bet.

As Mark said, if its painted and sealed it shouldn't be a problem. Would be fine for beardies, blue tongues and leopards, but for water dragons or frogs I'd say go for H3 treated ply.

i would probably go with MDF if it was me, i am sure it would last fine. the price difference when buying full sheets is huge between ply & MDF, MDf should be around $35 per 16mm sheet where the ply will be around $90 for a 17mm sheet. the ply is alot stronger so it could be $1 either way on what to go with. the ply will last alot longer as it is stronger, over time glue & screw joins may work loose with the MDF.

I am not sure but I think that both mdf and ply contain ureaformaldehyde which gives off formaldehyde when heated. That is why I painted mine. I think both are used extensively and should be OK if sealed. I think it would be best to use untreated ply if using that as lizards tend to lick everything.

your vivarium??? won't get as hot as an oven tower so you'll be fine. :D

the material itself will last, it depends on the brilliance applied when joining the mdf panels to how long the structure will last. MDF tends to separate or split as its a layered grain product so screws loose their holding capability so then its down to the glue. :)

& the edges are where moisture does the most damage, MDF is not pourous so it absorbs moisture & holds it which causes it to go fluffy & deteriorate very quickly. extra sealing on the edges is very important & i would be using PVA with MDF & let it pour out the joins to also help seal it. i recommend dowels & confirmat screw assembly with plenty of glue & bracing. even seal the internal corners with silicone after.

i just had a thought, go to a benchtop manufacturing company & get an offcut the size you need with one face laminated with formica for the base panel. that will last decades as a surface & water won't get through it. i'd be very surprised if they charge you for it as they would have to pay to dump it with the substrate being MDF.

i just had a thought, go to a benchtop manufacturing company & get an offcut the size you need with one face laminated with formica for the base panel. that will last decades as a surface & water won't get through it. i'd be very surprised if they charge you for it as they would have to pay to dump it with the substrate being MDF.

Failing that you can actually buy sheets of it with two sides laminated from carters/placemakers AFAIK, could possibly get a scratched sheet for cheap.

melamine works out approx $200 more if compared to say mdf per unit 1200x600x600

bunnings have all the panels pre cut for memory. . when you factor in extra work with mdf and paint/sealer + cost its not much more and melamine looks great and easy to clean

i use mdf as dont mind the extra work...rather enjoy making them just finding the time can be hard..

selleys pva wood glue is great stuff. non toxic to. just seal over the lot with water based polyurethane and should be all good.

i used a non toxic paint on pond liner for the last unit i made (bunnings)...almost no fumes so just a day or 2 to dry out good and proper and should be safe for the new inhabitants..

polyurethane needs drying for a good week or 2 ultimately.

what ever you use if built well then should last and look the part :D