views on display tanks?

xxdarnixx

hi everyone,ive got the chance to get one of those display tanks for bettas like they have in pet shops with filtration going around 12-16 'cubicals' so you can seperate males and as my breeding stock is getting bigger and bigger and ive now had three fish mutilated by females that can jump amazingly high toget over dividers im thinking of getting it.

it cant be worse than betta dividers and i have a roster system in place so my males get time in the big tank every few days to stretch out......opinions???

I haven't got one myself but have thought about it however I have spoken to several people who have and the feedback varies (as one would expect)

- hard to keep clean

- filter system not great

- looks really nice for displaying fish

imo the biggest issue and one that I have had before (with my setup) is that if one fish catches something the rest are also exposed to it.

i know ive had mixed feedback too lol,the thing bout one fish can infect the lot wouldnt be much different than what i have atm anyway,i have a large tank that has been divided for the males and then an extra betta seperator for my new males.

its a hard one lol,how do you heat the water i them?

the only real problem I have heard about the aqua one display tank is that smaller/baby fighters get stuck/sucked in to the "out" hole.

One question about them though (i'm not hijacking :D) can the fish see each other in there compartments?, and would you be able to somehow hook it up to another tanks (kind of like a sump)??

yea it is an aqua one tank :bounce: i have 4 males and three females atm (betta) and trying to get hold of some more female halfmoons so there wont be room for any babies in there :)

also going to put a couple of my dress guppy males in too if there is space because some of their tails are starting to look ratty :cry:

will post a pic of it up in a min

dot know about the sump idea?? could possiby i guess but would have to look at it closer first

actually i was thinking of that,it would be easy enough because it just slides in there,if you wanted the little bays back you just slide it out and replace them with the little cubicles.

the most expensive part would be getting a tank made to fit :-?

....or could just get a second unit and have that one with two or four bigger tanks in it ??

actually i was thinking of that,it would be easy enough because it just slides in there,if you wanted the little bays back you just slide it out and replace them with the little cubicles.

the most expensive part would be getting a tank made to fit :-?

....or could just get a second unit and have that one with two or four bigger tanks in it ??

Nah getting the tank made would cost about $20-30 im sure :)

I'm might get one, do you reckon there's a way that you could drill/attach a 2ft tank as a kind of sump? that way you could then swap the fish round and have plants in there rather than the little compartments...

Anyone thought about modding one of these? I think it would be a great idea to switch out all the bottom compartments and just have one big compartment, either for actual breeding, or for a bigger swimming area to use on a rostered basis

if you read my earlier post :P