beach sand

Anthony

It was from the beach!

And it was really fine, like salt.

What are you planning to put in the tank?

If you are going to plant it, it may be fine, may also depend if you have digging fish, corys seem to like zooming around in sand.

I had silica sand in my last cichlid tank and it looked great. It was very fine and it's impossible to clean the same way you would clean gravel, but it can be done. Here is a great video showing you how...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/videos/cleaning_sand.php

Every few water changes, before I changed the water, I stirred up the sand by hand to remove gunk that had worked its way under the sand.

ira how did you get the sand clean enough that it didnt cloud up the tank?

thats what im having trouble with right now

It was an extremely difficult and involved process...

Step 1: Put sand in a bucket

Step 2: Put water in the bucket

Step 3: Stir sand in bucket

Step 4: Pour water out

Step 5: Repeat 3-4 times

:lol:

It's not that big of a deal, especially if afterwards you put the sand into the tank before filling it with water.

i done that for about 3 hours yesterday and put it in the tank and filled it up and the waters brown

I had a similar thing happen once with some fine sand that I was using. I just attached two hoses to the tank (using two clamps and a big rubber band between them). One hose was attached to the tap with water flowing into the tank and the other hose was siphoning water out of the tank at the same rate as the water flowed in. I attached a mesh stocking to the end of the siphon and stirred like mad. Beautiful sparkling water in no time! :D