Brand new guppies had babies

Phillz

I got given 4 guppies, that were put in the tank on Friday, I noticed on Saturday that there were fry hiding in the Java moss.....thanks to Shae, I think the guppies are the parents.

My tank is an ex-turtle tank, so has a ledge and ramp at one end....I have some small rocks and Java moss on this, I guess it was a good idea as the fry have made that area home.

I have tried giving the fry crumpled up fish flake, while feeding the other fish at the other end, and is egg yolk OK?

Any other suggestions on how to care for them, haven't got my other setup ready yet, no heater filter etc....wasn't expecting babies so soon :roll:

My first suggestion is to get a net breeder for the interum, until you get the new setup running, this way you can not only make sure you dont lose you r fry, but you can maximise the amount of food they get and minimise the amount of effort to get it too them and for them to get it! in my opinion flake food is the way to go!has never let me down! i start all my livebearer fry off with this, until they are big enough to move on to micro daphnia, which is usually just a day or so! a net breeder is $7.95 from you LFS so wont blow the budget!

Shae 250

They seem happy enough....am pretty sure there are 14 of them.

The one female that was pretty large ( maybe the mum?), still has the "dark spot" how do I know when she has given birth to all she is going to have?

The male likes to chase the apricot coloured female around, is that because he knows she isn't pregnant?

The other female with the yellow tail, seems happy enough, the male doesn't bug her :)

All very interesting stuff :wink:

Phillz I wouldn't worry too much about the fry. I was in the same situation as you were 2 weeks ago. I now have around 60 baby guppies swimming around in my tank and I think I am expecting more. havent done any major changes. Just kept the adults well fed.

they grow really quickly too and I only use crushed flake.

If you start separating them you will quickly be overrun with baby guppies!

The males will chase anything - pregnant or not.

The female may take a day or 2 to drop all the fry and will immediately be pregnant again.

I would be happy too if I wasn't being bugged by males all the time :lol:

Just thought I would let you know, the fry are doing well, they are getting very brave and venturing out in the open, none have dissapeared as dinner :wink: .

Just keeping all the others well fed as suggested.

Will be very interesesting to see what colours they turn out to be. :lol: