Macro lens

tinytawnykitten

Hi yes i have a tamron 90 f2.6I use it on my Pentax k200d for all my macro shots

My mate uses the same lens on his Canon and recondes its the best lens he has

It is also good for taking portraits

And also at a good price compared to brand lens

Hope this helps

Cheers Rob

For a digital camera or a film camera?

Wont be that great on a digital camera.

what makes you say that? All the canon EF lenses go on film and digital, are you saying they aren't great either?

I can't memeber what camera you have tiny, but i'm guessing the image sensor is 22mm, on a film camera its 35mm, so 100mm of zoom on your camera is the same as (or at least close to) 116mm (actually 160mm as below) of zoom with the same lens on a film camera.

Tiny look at a Canon 500D close up lens (and thats not 500D as in the camera body, confusing I know) Its an extension tube used best of larger zoom lens, but they work rather well or so I have heard, they are a truck (<

and as above those 50mm f1/.8 lens are great I use mine heaps!

you can also get

Sigma MACRO 50mm F2.8 EX DG $450 new

Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Lens $590

Sigma APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO $320 new

Thought i would jump in here, Sorry supa but your numbers are wrong. If you are using any of the cannon bodies (except the 5D, 1DS & 1D Which have X1, X1 & X1.3 crop respectively) then the focal length of any lens is multiplied by 1.6. so a 100mm lens becomes a 160mm lens.

And tiny the best advice I have for you is do some reading. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/ the bit that talks about "Canon Lens Recommendations". That link only talks about Canon lens but it still applies to the Sigma & Tamron equivalents.

Thought i would jump in here, Sorry supa but your numbers are wrong. If you are using any of the cannon bodies (except the 5D, 1DS & 1D Which have X1, X1 & X1.3 crop respectively) then the focal length of any lens is multiplied by 1.6. so a 100mm lens becomes a 160mm lens.

And tiny the best advice I have for you is do some reading. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/ the bit that talks about "Canon Lens Recommendations". That link only talks about Canon lens but it still applies to the Sigma & Tamron equivalents.

HAHA I'm just retarded I meant to multiply it by 1.6 :D my bad to late for me to be doing maths :oops: I'll use a calculator next time...even when I wrote that i was like hmm I'm sure its way more haha

what makes you say that? All the canon EF lenses go on film and digital, are you saying they aren't great either?

It doesn't have a very useful range of focal lengths, and isn't a true macro lens as such. If tiny wants to do macro photos specifically, she should aim to get a macro lens that does 1:1 magnification

It wont be as good a general purpose lens on a digital because of the crop factor of a digital camera (as compared to a film camera)

If you already have a kit lens, but can't afford a full macro lens, then try the close up lenses that fit on the end of your current lens. Only about $40. But as stated above, lots of options, and obviously the cheaper ones aren't perfect. Also extension tubes, but when not used on prime lenses I think they can make things quite dark.

Another option is buy a point and shoot. Won't beat a good dslr with a good macro lense of course, but they can frequently beat a dslr with a standard lense. And you have a more portable camera than a DSLR as a bonus.:)

Any excuse to post some of my pics.:P

spidermacro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...