Papua New Guinea

smidey

I was looking through some old photos at my parents house & found these which i haven't seen in years.

in 1988-89 my old man went to Papua New Guinea to work on the construction of a power station for a company called Comtrade. He was a crane driver, the weather up there is tropical & its rains heavily most days around mid afternoon.

this day it rained in the mountains earlier & no one knew what was about to happen. Dad had the 70 ton crane in the wier framing pulling out the steel when the water came rushing down, it took 15 mins from dry ground to the time it covered the crane. :shock:

sunny, nice & dry

CCF09122009_00003.jpg

the water is rising

CCF09122009_00005.jpg

by this time (5 mins or so) Dad has shut off the engine & climbed on top. he tried to walk the crane out when the water came but it was so fast & the crane so slow that he got half way out

CCF09122009_00006.jpg

Dad had to be lifted off by another crane, the water came up so fast he was forced to hang by his arm of the hook of another crane working near by. he only just hung on long enough to get safe before he fell off.

CCF09122009_00004.jpg

here is a D8 bulldozer towing the crane out the next day

CCF09122009_00008.jpg

thanks smidey

must have been a rush for your dad :D

i am sure he wasn't as calm as he looks in the pic of him on the crane looking up at the guy above. that river of water continued a few kilometers to the Fly river so it would ahve been quite a trip if he ended up in the water.

did he bring a specimen of the hercules moth back with him?

no, the closets thing to the wildlfe that he bought back was a wooden carved aligator about 20" long. Oh & a penis sheath that the nationals wear that was made from a tree root, he bought it new so wasn't used. the tribesmen there still wear only the sheath & a few feathers. :o