how many fish can i have?

guppylover2

hey there

am wanting to add some fish to my 250-300 litre tank, and just curious as to which formula is better for determining roughly the total no. of fish a tank can hold : (I know that this is just an estimate)

? 1 inch of fish (2.54cm) per every 64cm squared of surface area (this formula is in 2 aquarium books i have looked at)

? 1 inch of fish per gallon (read this somewhere)

my surface area i have calculated (difficult because it is a bowfront, but it is roughly one quarter of a circle as it is a right angle at the back) is 16286 cm. (radius is roughly 72 cm squared, formula for SA of circle is 4 times pi times radius squared, divided by one quarter)

thus using the formula of 1 inch of fish for every 64cm squared of SA (10inches squared), I get 255inch of fish.

so do you guys reckon the first one is the right formula as a rough estimate?

I tend to go by the 1/4 cubic neon rule(Yes, I made that up myself)... If a fish is 8 neons long then it's about the mass of 8^3 neons, so 512. Divide by 4, gives you 128, so it needs 128 liters all to itself.:)

Ok, so I don't follow that, my 440l cichlid tank has an equivalent of 5000 in it, hehe.:)

I would only start off with around 12 guppies to begin with 3 Male and 9 Females. After a short time I'm sure you will have heaps and heaps of guppies swimming around in your tank. I had 7 guppies to start with and now my 300l Tank has 60 baby guppies swimming around it :lol: