Happy Fish

john1

G'day

I started about 30 years ago. Kept it up for quite a number of years.

I had 5 tanks. A community tank, Oscars, Breeding tank for various livebearers , cichlid tank and a cichlid breeding tank (very successful).

Now I started about 2 months ago totally afresh. Don't laugh, but I have a very nice overpopulated community tank. I'll give you a list and maybe you can tell me if there is something horrible wrong with it.

30 gal.(US) tank

1 Fluval 204

1 Fluval 402 powerhead with its own filter

1 u/gravel filter (fluval)

pH 6.9, GH 8, KH 4?, ammonia 0 , temp 78.6 F - 79 F constant.

My fish

2 angel med

2 angle small

2 silver sharks 2.5"

2 red tail sharks 2", 1.5"

2 blue gouramies 2.5" male

1 gouramie 2" female

6 mixed cories small - med

1 golden shark 2"

3 sailfin mollies 2"- 2.5"

6 guppies

2 platies 1.5"

1 clownloach 2"

1 suckerfish? 2.5" (thin long)

6 tetras neon small

3 serpae tetras 1.5"

4 mollies small

2 kissing gouramies 1"

The water smells good, fish seem to be happy, and I feed them 3 times a day. (just love feeding them).

Frozen brineshrimp, the block disappears in about 30 seconds.

Then I give them a bit of flakes. They also get freeze-dried tubifex.

The authors of magazines, books seem to differ with their opinions to nowadays advice. Axelrod says you should give them whatever they eat in 5 minutes. A shop and some reputable site says 2 minutes. Some say 3 times others 1 time only. I'm not sure if I'm right but I read what I can ask what I can then make my own decision based on logic.

By the way, I lost 5 neons. Probably one of my bigger ones thought a 'Neon snack' is better than tubifex

I hope I have not bored you too much.

John (John1)

Wow, that's gonna get really crowded as your sharks, angels and gouramis grow. And you'll find your neons and guppies disappearing, I've heard angels will eat neons, and I know silver sharks will eat guppies and neons.:)

I'm not one to talk about crowded tanks, mine is pretty crowded too, but it's a 50 gallon.

Hi John, you ask if there is anything horribly wrong with your tank. Well, I don't know where to start! If you have kept fish as long as you say you have you ought to know the shit is going to hit the fan fairly soon. All is well now but all your fish are very small and have not reached maturity. When they do...

The guppies will be eaten by the sharks, gouramis and sailfins.

Speaking of which, you should not put ordinary mollies in with sailfins as they will interbreed. Mollies also need salt in the water.

The small angels will probably get beaten up by the larger ones.

The red tail sharks had better be different sexes or you will lose one of them as well.

I don't know enough about the other sharks but the silver ones will grow too large for a 3ft tank. If they are not killed by the others first.

The blue gouramis tend to be stroppy and one female to 2 males is asking for trouble. She will be dead before long too I fear.

Serpae tetras are shoaling fish and as such there should be at least 6 of them for them to be comfortable.

The kissing gouramis grow up to 30cm (1ft). They alone would suit that sized tank without anything else in it!

I'm sorry, but you did ask! :D

Please consider rehousing some of these fish!

Hi John1,

No diplomacy here by the look of things my friend :):)

You did say,

Now I started about 2 months ago totally afresh. Don't laugh, but I have a very nice overpopulated community tank. I'll give you a list and maybe you can tell me if there is something horrible wrong with it.

Like us all, or most of us, we tend not to consider the amount of fish we have until either a problem occurs, or they grow to such a size that our other fish suffer.

Obviously you will have to make some changes in the near future, and your one tank will become two, then three then.....

The key words at the moment are that your fish seem content, and apart from losing a few neons you are doing quite well.

Just watch your critical levels, as things can change rapidly with so many fish.

Regards,

Bill. (Pegasus)