Lauren's 5ft marine

lmsmith

Here's some info on my new tank setup

Tank is 1500 x 600 D x 500 H, made by Pete at Port Nicholson Glass in Petone. I was originally going to get it made and shipped, but Pete matched the price and worked with me to get exactly what I wanted.

photo-67.jpg

My partner and I made the stand and it is braced both longways and sideways - here's a pic in the making of it:

photo-64.jpg

And the finished product - well, it's not actually finished, the front is going to be divided into thirds and the middle section is going to be black acrylic to match our TV stand

photo-74.jpg

photo-85.jpg

I have a full syphon overflow, and a back up pipe:

photo-73.jpg

Here's the tank after it was first filled with water, with about 1/4 of the LR in it.

photo-75.jpg

And here it is this morning:

photo-81.jpg

LHS

photo-83.jpg

Middle

photo-82.jpg

RHS

photo-84.jpg

The lights on the top are currently t5s (approximately 300w) - these will be replaced with 3x 150w MH and 2x 54w t5s, and there will be a hood on top to match the stand.

Current inhabitants:

Pair of black clowns, Teddy and Boy Clown and their BTA nem

1 x damsel, Zippy

1 x cleaner shrimp, Barry

+ some corals - finger leathers, a toadstool leather, some other leathers, a hammer coral, some SPSs also.

I currently have 1 powerhead in there but will be adding 1 or 2 more to keep the detritus suspended - I don't need too much flow at the inlet end because the tank has 16x turnover an hour, so detritus tends to settle just in front of the overflow box.

• 1 month later...
is that coral rock? some of it looks differant?

yup it's all coral rock, just from different parts of the world. I need to get some more rock, it's looking a bit bare.

I've also added a blue tang, he's doubled in size in the last month, and eats so much!! He gets along well with everything in the tank, so I'm happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

photo-91.jpg

photo-90.jpg

photo-89.jpg

My hammer is splitting it's stem. It's quite exciting! I took the pic a couple of days ago, and now inside the bubble has turned white and it appears to be hardening. No idea how long this process will take though, but I'll keep you updated.

• 1 year later...