Unusual finnage on black male swordtails (Pics added)

Myah

Hi all, I have approx. 40 black, black/blue, black/white swordtails. All from the same father but from two mothers (all bought from the same place). The 1st batch are approx. 3mnths old and the males look like normal swordtails but all the males in the second batch ( 2 weeks younger) have a round tail (like a female)with the sword on some just starting to appear and the dorsal fin is crown shaped. I thought it was only 1 or 2 but after watching them, there is about 10 of them like it. Is this a normal type of finnage or could they be deformed. They are quite large in body size compared to the others.

010.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

Sorry they aren't very clear

• 3 weeks later...

i have 2 young black swordtail males - I thought they were a rare colour so googled it to see if worth anything and read that black swordtails with black in their fins may not be healthy.

here is the link - http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/bre ... words.html some others may have better knowledge but otherwise this might be a bit depressing to read :oops:

they are cute fish though 8)

Hi, had read the article about the black finnage being cancerous etc., but it was the actual shape of the top finnage and tails I was looking at which I didn't find anything about in any of the articles. So far, only 1 or 2 of the males' swords have started growing on the second batch, the rest are still roundish tailed like the females, or have a raggidy appearance which looks very similar in all of them. The females are starting to have fry but if it turns out the dads are deformed then I wont even consider saving them from the other fish to sell.