What pleco to get

redracer77

I am hoping people here can help,

I am wanting to get a pair of fancy plecs but not sure of what to get or what I can get,

I like snowballs or something similar, I have also seen a magnum in chch and quite liked that also.

looking for something med sized 30cm approx and that I can get a pair.

Any suggestions of whats available and that has potential to breed.

Thanks

The fish scottie mentions are L270 chocolate Zebras and will get to 12-15cm tops in 4-5yrs of growth, so 1/2 of what you are wanting in size, but are cheap ($30-$50 and 2-4.5cm depending on who you buy from) for a fancy plec.

You will also have a greater chance of breeding also.

King Tiger L066 same family and gets little bigger and again a chance of breeding if you get a few juvi's to grow up.

Magnums, Gold nuggets, Snowflakes,( Snowball is often given also but is wrong common name) will get to 30cm but there are few if any reported cases of tank breeding.

Same for blue and Green phantoms. They will get to 20cm in the right tank.

Your best chance is to track down some L25-Psuedacanthicus "Scarlet Pleco" or L114-Psuedacanthicus "Leopard Cactus" if any are still around, they were sold in numbers last year.

I bought one of each purely for show and wish I'd got more.

They get to 25cm, look wicked and will breed at 17cm. A pair of 25cm L25-"Scarlets" have bred in a 2ft tank before.

There is a Hypostumus sp Cochliodon that also has common name "Scarlet pleco" .

It reaches 25cm but again breeding in captivity is not recorded

• 2 weeks later...

So it appears that most plecos I want, probably won't breed in an aquarium,

Does anyone have a blue phantom? I have read a liitle on the net but seems to be some differing info(like everything).

Are they able to be sexed?

What should I be looking for?

I am aware the chance of breeding is slim.

Another stunner but maybe a different pattern to what you were after are the big band tiger plecos (Peckoltia 'L288' or something similar, maybe Peckoltia 'Rio Tocantins'). Being a Peckoltia they should be quite breedable and were on the fish list recently. They only grow to about 14 cm so they are a nice size for most aquaria. Females look great but males are a little duller. Heres a female I took a pic of in the petshop.

2851225170100841066S500x500Q85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well organism was closed the time I was there,and the snowflake is such a good looking fish, but that could be the next on the list,

I did speak to the guy at pet world in ferry road, he is going to be importing from peru late next year and hoping for some fancy plecos that we don't see very often, so keep your eyes out for them