Dumb Stress Coat Question

bobo

Hey guys,

I realise I may have been removing the chlorine incorrectly.

Say I do a 70L H2O Change on a 330L tank, how do I add the Stress Coat to remove the chlorine? Do I:

Step 1: Remove 70L from tank.

Step 2: Add 70L tap water to tank.

Step 3: Then add enough Stress Coat to the tank to treat the whole 330L or just enough to treat the 70L water change (even though that water would be dispersed throughout the tank)?

I hope that's clear.

Thank you very much for your help!

Tim

Just enough for the water you are replacing. I normally add it to the bucket of water that I'm putting back into the tank, when I use stress coat or smiler that is.

I can see how that would work - at the moment I dump it straight into the tank - which is why I ask - the water chlorined water would be dispersed throughout the whole system.

Soon I will be using an aquavac system, which takes the water straight from the tap to the tank. So do I need to treat the whole tank even though only 70l would have chlorine, or just enough for 70l, even though it is thorugh the whole tank?

Does that even make sense lol

CHeers for the response

Well when you add 70L of water to the tank it comes with an amount of chlorine. what the chlorine remover does is react with the chlorine in the water to form something that is not toxic to fish, what it forms I don't know to be honest.

So short answer is you only need enough chlorine remover to remove the amount of chlorinated water you just added.

As above. I find it beneficial to just add the dechlorinator to the tank just before or straight after adding new water - or turn off your filters so none of the chlronine gets to your main bacterial colony. I use a hose to fill the tank, so adding to the new water is not possible.

For a tank that size id buy the stress coat bottle that has the pump head, give one pump for every 7 litres, so its real quick and easy to just give 10 pumps for a 70 litre water change. you dont have to be too accurate either.

Personally i wouldn't even waste my $$ on the stuff. Started off using it when I got my first tank then decided to try without about 3 years ago and haven't added dechlorinator since and have never noticed any difference to either fish or tanks.

chlorine causes instant fish death. they swim weird and upsidedown and then die.

it is safer to use it than to not.

I always have and will use a dechlorinator, cause I have seen what happens to the fish without it.

I thought chlorine was pretty much harmless to fish unless it huge amounts.

It kills you denitrifying bacteria though - which in turn stands a good change at killing your fish.

For a long time on a small tank I didnt use dechlorinator, just put my thumb over the tap to jet the water into the bucket actually gets rid of a lot of it.

As I have said on many posts before (so I wont bore you with the details) after you have dispersed some of the chlorine you are still left with the monochloramine which is used to sanitize drinking water in the USA and is about as bad as chlorine.

If that harms the fish, wouldn't we all have dead fish, since we all just use Stress Coat to remove the Chlorine?

How do remove the mono chlorine?

Cheers :)

well i've only ever treated the amount being changed , but then again I treat it before it goes into the tank .

I like the idea that you turn off the filter during the change so at least teh bio will fare better until the dechlorintaor does it's thing.

It would get expensive to treat the entire tank each time and it seems pointless dechlorinating water that is already dechlorinated. But perhaps it makes a difference when the water is being added straight to the tank before treatment.

well i've only ever treated the amount being changed , but then again I treat it before it goes into the tank .

I like the idea that you turn off the filter during the change so at least teh bio will fare better until the dechlorintaor does it's thing.

It would get expensive to treat the entire tank each time and it seems pointless dechlorinating water that is already dechlorinated. But perhaps it makes a difference when the water is being added straight to the tank before treatment.

Yeah - Bik - they did say you only need to do the entire tank if you are putting it straight in. They also said I should add it to the tank before I add the water.

Surely if you are replacing 25% of the water then you will only need 25% of the reagent

I don't know anything about it... merely quoting the fish shop, but I guess the argument is that once you place the water in the tank that it becomes dispersed through the whole tank, so you have to treat the whole tank (obviously if you are using buckets, that's a different story).

I'm only guessing, and I have no real idea about chemistry. Obviously experienced people here are only treating the 25%, and their fish aren't dying left and right.