Bearded Dragon Setup

Aquatics NZ

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also wondering what the best decor and substrate would be.

For a basking spot, I am thinking a large flat river rock. Also, some driftwood structure for climbing. I won't add much driftwood simply because I won't be intending it to be used directly for basking per se - more as just a 'chill-out' spot

In terms of substrate, I was thinking of using tile. I would like a particulate substrate if I could get away with it, but I do not want to risk impaction.

I use sand for the adults and intend to use synthetic lawn carpet for any babies. The sand is easy to remove sloppy faeces from but it will be a bit more of a challenge for the babies so I have made 3 so I can wash and dry them as required (also have flamed the cut edges so they don't eat any loose bits. Whatever you use you will need to remove messy droppings.

As I'm most likely going to be getting a baby dragon, what would be the best feeding regime?

From my research, I read that babies require 80% live and 20% vegetables. Is this correct?

If it is, this is what I will be doing:

3-4 times daily -> Small crickets. Possibly small cockroaches (would these be suitable?) Gutloaded with fruit and veges.

Added salad every day. I heard that one of the best greens to add is kale. Are we able to get this here?

With regards to dusting with calcium (added D3) and multi-vitamins, how often should this be done?

They can be picky eaters at different times of the year. I have learnt that bugs are good, the more they wiggle the better .... crickets are a staple and mealworms are a treat, cicadas also go down well. On the veg front, dandilion greens and flowers, plus green beans are a fav. I dust 3 times a week.

They can be picky eaters at different times of the year. I have learnt that bugs are good, the more they wiggle the better .... crickets are a staple and mealworms are a treat, cicadas also go down well. On the veg front, dandilion greens and flowers, plus green beans are a fav. I dust 3 times a week.

Do you worry about the cicadas being contaminated?

I also heard that the dandelion greens and flowers are really good for them. Can you buy them or are normal garden ones fine?

Are you dusting with just calcium or both calcium and multivitamins. Is you dragon adult or baby?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

It's been awhile since I last posted.

Things are coming along nicely. My new bd will be here on Saturday hopefully and I have 100 crickets arriving on Friday.

My terrarium (EPS premium habitat) is all set up for now. Although I won't rule out adding/taking out some more stuff. I may add some fake plants to add some colour. What do you think?

The lighting is two UVA/UVB T8's, 100w heat lamp, 100w basking lamp and a 60w standard Phillip's light bulb just to add some light down the far end of the tank.

I have gone for a sand substrate over the majority of the enclosure. For those who are familiar with the EPS habitat, I have left the 'dip' at the end sandless and will use this as the feeding area for now until he gets bigger.