Zebra Finch help?!

SamH

My aviary is being moved but I have to keep the two Zebra finches for a while, until it's setup again. Thankfully last inorganic day our neighbours threw out their old mouse cage. Went on up to grab them and noticed that one of their eggs (thought to be infertile) had hatched or a baby bird had just appeared out of no where.

Anyways...

I am going to remove the old eggs but the parents aren't looking after their single young. It has it's first feathers but they're looking a bit manky at the moment. They're not even going into the nesting box where the young bird is. I will get some pics later.

What can I feed it/what should I do?!

Thanks!

Its been a while since i had birds but if the young bird has its first feathers its parents have been feeding it becuase it would have died by now. I would put it in its nesting box into the cage with the adults. You will probably find that they are tending to it. You could try feeding it as well as the parents but its hard going!

Okay, we've taken him out of the cage and he turns out to be quite the character. He likes to snuggle into our hands and eats readily. I tapped/squeezed the sides of his beak and he open his mouth. With a syringe, we put a weetbix and milk warm mix paste down his throat. He chirped for more and more but eventually he stopped so we put him back in his new box. His new box has dacron in it and is covered by a fine curtain mesh because apparently, he can fly :o

What do I do from here?

Mum reckons we should try putting him back with the parents. I think that's a bad idea, if he's eating from us then why change it? The parents are barely eating themselves!

Any help? Please? :-?

I would still put him back with the parents. I used to get a dry mix from the pet shop for feeding baby finches, you dampen it and feed it to them. It replicates the natural food it would get normally. The parents may still try to feed it as well which will be better for it.

If he can fly he should just about be able to feed for himself as well and maybe the parents are getting ready to lay again.

If you don't put him with his parents he probably end will end up being a super tame finch BUT if you don't put him back you'll have to feed him every 1 1/2 - 2 hours which unless your home all day you can't do and he'll probably end up dying. I'd say put him back wth his parents unless you can hand feed him. Also I thought bird couldn't have milk?

birds don't milk cows therefore can have an intolerance to lactose

parents won't sit on it once it has pin feathers

weetbix is probably not the best as well

finches are seed eaters, therefore original farex mixed with cold water till runny would be good

google hand rearing zebra finch should bring up some recipes

think repto is refering to the fact a lot of people when rescuing birds give them milk and or weetbix

they think of "baby" and of course human food is usually tthe first thing they think of

the first thing i think of is what the parents would have been feeding it then feed appropriately

as phoenix said chewing up worms for a thrush is a bit hard on the taste buds :wink:

a zebie being primarily a seed eater will need some sort of grain, the health food shop is a good source of crushed grain, then mixed with water, allow to sit for awhile to let the grain swell

food must be warm to go through the crop properly

milk or sugars can lead to candida infections which can seriously hinder the crops activity

google can be your friend in rescue cases

Looks like I did it completely wrong, but only recieved help when that was realised :oops:

He is in a box with some dacron inside the cage with ther parents. They are feeding themselves and appear to be hopping back up to the "nest" and feeding him. They are all alive this morning and the cage is in the office/fishroom which stays far warmer than anywhere else. He is making his little sounds.

Is that okay? :-?

yes that is OK :D

don't be hard on yourself sam, a common thing done by people :wink:

my fault for not noticing your request sooner :oops:

now you have more knowledge for next time or you can pass that knowledge on

when i was a youngster i thought i would give dad a hand to feed his fish

so tipped a cup of milk in there :oops:

I really cannot say for sure what the problem is without examining him (disclaimer) but if he went without good nutrition for a while he could have developed metabolic bone disease and/or have multiple fractures. IF he has this, he might also have muscle weakness and tremors. If he is eating then he has a good chance of recovering, at least obtaining partial functioning. Make sure he is warm (to reduce energy expenditure from trying to stay warm during healing). Feed good fresh finch seed and if he is keen you can offer crushed boiled egg (including the finely ground up shell). It would be ideal to add in fresh vegetables at some point (all caged finches need this) - you can mash up some thawed watties mixed vegetables - that works just as well in a pinch. Ultimately, it would be good to convert him to Harrison's bird pellets (finch size) - that should comprise the majority of his diet with seed and vegies to supplement.

Anyway, really not sure what the problem is but regardless he will need to eat very frequently and will need a continual supply of fresh water.

Good luck! I have handfed lots of finches with handrearing formulas - they are funny when they grow up tame!

:hail: jenniferh!

He's not in a good way, is not taking any more food (perhaps not hungry?) and is having seemingly random leg and wing spasms of sorts :-? :(

I've put him in a little box lined with tissues (he was nose diving in the nesting material), let's hope he makes the night. The cage is in the office/fishroom so is quite warm.