Daphnia- what does it look like?

oneeyedfrog

Hi Can someone tell me what daphnia looks like to the naked eye. Does it move around? I have seen magnified pics on the net but nothing that sez what it looks like without a microscope! :D

The kids and I went down to the ponds/troughs looking for stuff and found heaps of bugs etc but we're not too hot on the identification.

Thanks

daphnia are small(max of 2mm) and orange(ish) they swim a bit funny

I've never seen them orange. They're whatever color the food they're eating is. Usually green.:)

They look like little green balls with a frilly bit poking out of one end. Really pretty much just like they do in microscopic pictures just smaller.

Here's a pic I took years ago...

daphnia.jpg

Dahnia change colour depending on the colour of what they are eating. If they have green water they are green, otherwise they are usually brown.

Daphnia.jpg

I have never tried to separate mine from other greeblies in the water as I figure it is all good live food. I am more worried about transferring algae from troughs so am very careful to check for any signs of an unwanted algae that could infect my aquarium. Stock troughs often have long filamentous algae growing in them. :(

Mossie larvae

mossielarvae.jpg

The brown snails next to the green daphnia are snails. The green daphnia next to the brown snails are daphnia.

lolol

they kind of bounce around in short jerky movements,this reminds me to try and get some more this year last time I failed miserably :lol:

Thank you guys - most helpful .

I was pretty amazed at the variety of greeblies in the ponds etc.

Lots of Eeeeewww look at this one! :D

Some were pretty scary looking when you look closely. Glad they don't grow bigger or that I'm not tiny! :lol:

Will have to find a book to identify some .

Went looking for some today but couldn't find any, made a discovery though, scooped up the sediment on the bottom of the tough and found heaps of blood worms, there was like a hundred or more in one sieve scoop, so we collected half a dozen scoops in a bucket and took it home for convenience.

Will the fish eat boatmen?........just noticed that the water boatmen are eating the bloodworm....whoops!

A bit of careful observation and a few questions on wikipedia and we discovered we had both water boatman and back swimmers, according to Wiki water boatman are usually non predatory but back swimmers are predatory and not a good idea to pop in your tank, so we got rid of them and just stuck the blood worms in, that was fun.

We went checking today too! :D Seven ponds , 4 troughs, one gumboot stuck in the mud and a container of pond water thru the van we found ....no Daphnia!

Heaps and heaps of boatmen. We found a few bloodworms too and some sort of sword plant

Carlos I was hoping you had found some so I could get some from you! :lol: Oh well might go another day and check out the farm's troughs. We had fun looking