Yet another FX5 question.

Floater

I see everyone on here never stops saying how great their FX5 filter is, I'm wondering if it would be suitable for say... a 400L tank that is going to be heavily planted and house discus. What sort of a current does this thing produce? Can you tone it down? Would you need to tone it down?

Cheers,

Scott

The outlet has two nozzles that can be turned in different directions.

Apparently when turned all the way in one direction, it actually reduces the output diameter thus reducing the flow.

The FX5 also has adjustable flow control.

Im a walking FX5 Library now as Ive done hours and hours of research to buy one :lol:

Personally for that set up I would be tempted to go two smaller canisters, so you get the filtration without such an effect of flow.

I have a 5ft with FX5 and and is great for malawi's as it means I can go ages without worrying much about water changes/ cleaning filter.

I also have a 300ltr 4ft with a fluval 404 and eheim 2213 cannister which has housed Discus and was great as had awesome filtration with little flow. It now has big fancy plecs so again is well suited.

End of the day regular water changes is what will make any Discus tank excell.

Personally for that set up I would be tempted to go two smaller canisters, so you get the filtration without such an effect of flow.

I have a 5ft with FX5 and and is great for malawi's as it means I can go ages without worrying much about water changes/ cleaning filter.

I also have a 300ltr 4ft with a fluval 404 and eheim 2213 cannister which has housed Discus and was great as had awesome filtration with little flow. It now has big fancy plecs so again is well suited.

End of the day regular water changes is what will make any Discus tank excell.

So in your opinion the FX5 would produce too much current for the likes of discus and plants?

I think that in a 400ltr tank it would be hard not to get a fair degree of current.

the Fx5 does 3500-4000lts and hr so you are cycling your tank 9-10 times an hr which is great.

Personally though I dont think its optimal for a discus set up, because the filter would be overkill.

I would suggest that even with only one medium cannister and 10% water change 2-3 a week the Discus and plants would do better.

You could probably get two smaller cannisters using less room than fx5 with outlet/inlets at at each end of the tank for same or probably less $$.

Put that FX5 filter in a 1000 ltr tank and different story, as I would recommend that piece of kit to anyone.

The FX5 does create a lot of current.

How long is your 400L tank?

What firenzenz says is right, the FX5 does create a lot of water current, but what sort of plants are you going to have in there?

I have set up a 5ft tank with discus and plants for a customer who had an fx5 on the tank, and the water flow was negligible because of the way the outlets and plants were positioned.

Use plants like sag. subulata that get tall and bushy, and tiger lotus. Driftwood strategically placed also will act as a barrier to water flow, so it can be done- just depends on how you want to do it.

Do not discredit having 2 filters on the tank either, although 2 405's brand new will be much more expensive than an FX5.

The FX5 does create a lot of current.

How long is your 400L tank?

What firenzenz says is right, the FX5 does create a lot of water current, but what sort of plants are you going to have in there?

I have set up a 5ft tank with discus and plants for a customer who had an fx5 on the tank, and the water flow was negligible because of the way the outlets and plants were positioned.

Use plants like sag. subulata that get tall and bushy, and tiger lotus. Driftwood strategically placed also will act as a barrier to water flow, so it can be done- just depends on how you want to do it.

Do not discredit having 2 filters on the tank either, although 2 405's brand new will be much more expensive than an FX5.

Tank is 150cm long. I think I could probably arrange it in such a way that is doesn't blow my fish away. Can't be that hard right!?

Not if you get them from Organism in chch. Even with shipping the difference is not too bad.

405's $299 each.

FX5 $549

$50 difference but with the flexibility of two filters, both of which have flow rate adjustment.

I have a 5ft, 450 litre planted discus tank and run an fx5 with no problems at all. The outlet sits at the right hand side of the tank with the two outlet nozzles set at 90 degrees.

The current doesn't worry the discus as they don't sit up at the top of the tank anyway. I have a couple of pieces of driftwood in the tank, one sitting by the outlet and the other floating.

The only issue at all with the filter is that the discus insist on laying on the outlet pipe and as the young become free swimming they go up it!!

Heres a pic.

discustanknov.jpg

Hi

You can alway kill flow by turning upwards spray bar so will not make and current..

Tomorrow we lift a 2000 x 800 x 750 mm High 15mm thick glass and set up a Aquis 2450 UV-C Power filter thats got UV Build in..

Its about 11 to 1500 L and hour and using an under bench 2 kw unit to pre-heat the water then through the mighty filter...

I mean mighty because of the uv...

Cheers Phill Collis