Gold Saum / Green Terror picky eaters?

Duncan7

Has anybody else noticed this? Ive kept a couple now and they seem to be one of the fussiest cichlids ive had.

The latest one, which is similar to prev, started off eating as many blood worms as he could, now cant really be bothered with them... Now normally this wouldnt worry me but he doesnt eat cichlid sticks or sinking hikari gold either, doesnt look at prawn or the occas peice of beef heart... Had him eating flakes a while ago and i think he would again, but that was in a separate tank and where he is now has an overflow and the flakes would just shoot over that, so would rather avoid them.

I know that they are slow growing, but do they have growth spurts or times when they dont eat so much?

Has anyone else noticed similar behaviour in theirs? Any suggestions for another food to try?

TIA Duncan

No not losing weight or wasting away yet, only had him a month or so, just a small 2.5-3 inch specimen. wouldnt expect him to reject bloodworms tho.

Just reading on net that they can be picky eaters, need a varied diet... just have to try a few different things i guess.

To have a pair would be so cool! Such awesome fish, just so slow growing! (even worse when they go off their food!)

I don't know what is available in NZ.... I use frozen mysis shrimp & to a lesser extent brine shrimp, spirulina flake, a couple of brands of sinking pellets in a couple of different sizes. All I have really ever used.

Have you tested your water? Fish could be bored, could of been spooked. Try some dither fish to create comfort so to speak.

Frenchy :D

I havnt tested the water and havnt for years, its always seemed ok, the tank (4 foot) is well established running a good sump and a decent canister, not overstocked at all, possibly under if anything, the clown loaches are happy as is the other inhabitants, (angels, convict, JD), i would assume the cichlids would be the more robust of the two.

Just got a load of live daphnia today, he is chowing down on that :)

Will look out for the frozen mysis shrimp and see if i can find any.

The more reading i do on the net, the more it crops up that they are often picky. I guess ill just have to keep mixing it up, im sure everyone will benifit from added variety in the diet.

Thanks for the help.

Duncan.