Home made incubater

bulldogod

I have a number that I have bought--one for turtle eggs, one for birds eggs (out on loan), a made in China reptile one and a 1960s laboratory bacterial incubator which I bought realy cheap and looks ugly as but is probably the best one. You need a low wattage heater but an accurate thermostat that will vary about half a degree each way of the temperature you want. I have tested them all and they all do that. You can buy an accurate thermostat from Homershams for a little over $100 which reads the temperature as well.

There is a firm on Trademe selling them and I think they sell a whole range of other types including 2nd hand and posibly the bits you need to make one.

I have helped many vet clinics to set up their own laboratory incubators (for growing baterial colonies on culture plates). The following is a good website that tells how to make one (and I bet you already have all the supplies!). This type of set up will usually keep the temerature around 28 to 32 degrees depending on drafts and how well the dorr is sealed but you can experiment with different bulbs and dimmers to get it lower or higher. You may need to consider humidity for eggs though - a bowl of water and a hygrometer should help.

http://www.umsl.edu/~microbes/pdf/Incubator.pdf

HTH

:wink:

I've hatched RES eggs in a fishtank before. Used a 30 x 60, put in two bricks and a platform ontop of the two bricks, fill the tank tank with water to just above the bricks, put in fish tank heater and set temp, make sure heater is under water, put eggs in sealed container with moist vermicilite(sp) and seal lid, put container on platform, cover tank, add water every few days to keep the water level up and then you wait, and wait, watch paint dry, and wait and wait, watch grass grow, and wait, then if everything goes to plan the eggs should hatch