Ok 3-4 Questions?

rox

I have a student working on an assessment, she has a few Q's.

An Angelfish with red spots all over its body. (Not one spot, spots)

What is it?

And what would you recommend a client to do?

Neon Tetra the same, red spots all over its body.

What is it?

And what would you recommend a client to do?

She has spent hrs researching this and can only find info on one spot on an Angel and Tetra disease.

Also what Protective Gear should be used/worn when maintaining a tank?

thanks in advance.

Red spots on body is a bit vague.. Could be a fluke type tying where there are red spots everywhere the fluke has attached or has been attached in the past? Or maybe some sort of massive bacterial infection but that is unlikely as that would normally be localized. Maybe something like this http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/articles/aeromonas.html

Protective gear for maintaining a tank? Maybe just gloves or something like that if you are dealing with meds, cover all wounds so you don't get tuberculosis and also sturdy footwear (glass lid + foot = big scar and loss of feeling down one side of my foot and toe..).

Hope this helps :)

Also what Protective Gear should be used/worn when maintaining a tank?

There are some regulations in place here. Thick insulated shoes "should/must" be worn to keep you from getting zapped.

gloves to be worn in case of handling any hazardous substances - you know .. just to keep the health and safety people happy.

a step ladder so you are never over-reaching inside the tank, with the potential to slip. that sort of stuff.

I know this is overkill but you can theoretically contract salmonella from your fishtank,

so the correct clothing from a health and safety point of view would be arm length gloves, glasses and face mask.

with the use of a hand sanitiser afterwards

the glasses and face mask are to stop any splashes from hitting eyes or mouth

no using mouth to get the syphon going either

and what p44 said

P.S. no i will not write up a tank cleaning procedure or operational manual for you :D

fill hose with water, hold thumb uver one end, keep other in the tank then lower the thumb end lower than the tank

release thumb

hey presto :D

or my lazy way is

put hose on outside tap

uther end in tank

turn on hose

when bubbles stop turn off hose

unhook from tap and drop on ground

hey presto :D

golly gosh, you guys complicate things.

you insert the syphon into the tank, with the sucky bit of the plastic end facing upwards, let it fill with water, and the siphon shoudl automatically start. if not give it a few vertical wiggles (i wonder what was on the inventors mind when he thought of this :o ) and water will gush out.

I know this is overkill but you can theoretically contract salmonella from your fishtank,

so the correct clothing from a health and safety point of view would be arm length gloves, glasses and face mask.

with the use of a hand sanitiser afterwards

the glasses and face mask are to stop any splashes from hitting eyes or mouth

no using mouth to get the syphon going either

and what p44 said

P.S. no i will not write up a tank cleaning procedure or operational manual for you :D

LOL I took a tank to school and she had to look after it for 5 consecutive days, not long for anything to go wrong. But she did so well and enjoyed it so much that now she has 2 tanks of her own :) :)

Red spots on body is a bit vague.. Could be a fluke type tying where there are red spots everywhere the fluke has attached or has been attached in the past? Or maybe some sort of massive bacterial infection but that is unlikely as that would normally be localized. Maybe something like this http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/articles/aeromonas.html

Protective gear for maintaining a tank? Maybe just gloves or something like that if you are dealing with meds, cover all wounds so you don't get tuberculosis and also sturdy footwear (glass lid + foot = big scar and loss of feeling down one side of my foot and toe..).

Hope this helps :)

Oh but the question clearly asks about Red Spots all over the body. No more info than that and she is expected to say what it is and to give the customer instruction on what to do. I know what I would answer. Of course a vet is marking this work and probably wants to see meds offer as treatment. My 'useful' suggestion for the Angel fish was water change and salt and monitor. Of course you can quarantine but I'd try above before anything else.

And a Neon Tetra with red spots all over its body, this one is in the assessment?

She used gloves at school and safety goggles for testing PH and nitrate. School shoes too, sure you still have a pair of those Ryan ;)

There are some regulations in place here. Thick insulated shoes "should/must" be worn to keep you from getting zapped.

gloves to be worn in case of handling any hazardous substances - you know .. just to keep the health and safety people happy.

a step ladder so you are never over-reaching inside the tank, with the potential to slip. that sort of stuff.

Gloves ah, she has worked at our local Pet shop and she has never seen anyone wear gloves!

And P44 what is the diagnoses and what would you recommend the client does, immediately!

Red spots - fairly safe to assume it would be bacterial, so water changes and treatment with furan II. temp elevated, with an air stone in the tank.

depends on what the red spots look like sometimes red streaks and spots can be indications of ammonia.

so water changes there too. if a water test is done, and there is ammonia in the tank, and the client cannot do a 100% water change to get RID of it immediately, use ammolock - cause diluting ammonia still causes stress to the fish as it is still present (lets ignore the pH here).

if the spots were on a saltwater fish, the diagnosis would again be different.

The term "spots" is quite vague though. it would pay to know if they were pits or bumps; internal or external.

Thanks, thats pretty much what she came up with too, more so ammonia but they were not described as streaks. Spots were all the information she was given, if they were going trying to test for knowledge there are plenty of less vague things they could have asked for! :bounce: :bounce:

So the Tetra? :roll:

+1 to what alan said

the correct answer would then be call biosecurity as a new disese is in the country :D

would have to agree with p44

The term "spots" is quite vague though. it would pay to know if they were pits or bumps; internal or external.

question the validity of the question :wink:

In about 40 years I have never seen red spots all over a fish so I wouild suggest the questioner was more selective about what they drank

As I said earlier, she has spent hrs, truely hrs researching this particular question and submitted her workbook and it has come back with a query from the Vet as to what she would suggest it is and what she would suggest the client do 'immediately'!

When was the last time a vet looked at any of our sick fish........ oh let me think.......... ah never!

As I said earlier, she has spent hrs, truely hrs researching this particular question and submitted her workbook and it has come back with a query from the Vet as to what she would suggest it is and what she would suggest the client do 'immediately'!

When was the last time a vet looked at any of our sick fish........ oh let me think.......... ah never!

lol and when was the first time that Phoenix ever gave any descent advice on treating a fish. Ahh never :) lol