New Zealand Shrimp and White Cloud Mountain Minnows?

SamH

you don't put excel and shrimp together.

:o:o And you know this how???

Won't O2 levels be high anyway if I'm using reverse photosynthesis?

It will be higher, the amount higher depends on how well you get it going, Is their really much point to it though if you don't use DIY ?? It's effectively just a sponge for the CO2 at night

I meant no pressurized system N1CK.

Gah I read that bit wrong :roll:

:o :o And you know this how???

Because he probably has a secret tank full of shrimp, hiding them from us... Shifty_Eyes_Emoticon_by_Canaan1.gif

I don't know what effect the CO2 would have on the shrimp so I might not try it unless someone else has done it with success. :-?

It says Excel is derived from:

copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate, manganese sulfate, boric acid, sodium molybdate, zinc sulfate, rubidium chloride, nickel chloride, vanadium sulfate

From a lot of other sites it seems that people's shrimps are fine with excel.....

Not going to risk it though N1CK... :wink:

So if I'm running a 5 litre setup of DIY CO2 with lights on some part of the system 24/7 (the sump will be very heavily planted) then it might work?

It would work if you managed to get the CO2 as stable as possible and you managed to get a similar CO2 usage between the sump and the actual tank.....

(e.g using 5ppm for lighting of main tank then 5ppm for lighting of sump)

:bounce:

I've kept shrimp, WCMM and Goldfish at room temperature for like a year before I moved the shrimp outside.

Using Florish Excell with shrimps is ohk IMO. As long as you're not over-dosing for algae etc because you might have issues then.

Yussss

Yup, they like high oxygen levels as well, I am tempted to put some shrimp in with mine, but I am trying to breed them, so it may be counter productive - can just see them now, stalking little fry with those pincers...

Could some Borneo suckers go in this tank potentially? :hail:

Borneo suckers are hillstream loaches so like both high O2 and large amounts of current, they also feed primarily on algae

would be kind of hard to get a good flow going in your 2ft cube for them though :-?

with the shrimp, do they not need a small amount of salt in the watter? If not I would be keen having a tank just for them as they are the coolest little things. The place I can get the from is a river going into a lagoon, so maybe slightly salty. I am going there with the miss and there a tons of them. If they are the rite ones I could catch a few for some people on the forum and drop off on the way back to Cambridge.

• 3 months later...
Looking at stocking my 108L tank with this combo.

I'm thinking 30 WCMM and a handful of shrimp, that too much?

Does anyone in Auckland know where to find these FW Shrimp?

Thanks!

If you come down these ways I can share my secret spot with you! :wink:

Wouldn't 30 be too many? That said I have always been fond of "less is more" in terms of fish.