Breeding cichlids

Lilbitfishey

I have 2 types of cichlids that breed, I brought one of them as a breeding trio and the other kind the male came from somewhere different.

When they have had there fry and I have sold them on T.M and not one single person has asked me if I knew the history of the parents

I have a current listing on T.M that are not breeding fish, and someone just questioned me and said that they got told to be aware of my fish being interbreed

What I want to know is why people talk crap and say stuff that they havn't even asked me, Or if they know my breeding fish are interbreed why they can't just say it to me

that sucks aye they dont have anything better to do than pick holes in other peoples auctions!!!!! :x

I have 2 types of cichlids that breed, I brought one of them as a breeding trio and the other kind the male came from somewhere different.

When they have had there fry and I have sold them on T.M and not one single person has asked me if I knew the history of the parents

I have a current listing on T.M that are not breeding fish, and someone just questioned me and said that they got told to be aware of my fish being interbreed

What I want to know is why people talk crud and say stuff that they havn't even asked me, Or if they know my breeding fish are interbreed why they can't just say it to me

There is a group who are very concerned about the quality of cichlids in NZ, especially the African ones which interbreed so easily. If interbreeding continues there will be no decent fish left. As more fish turn up on the banned imports lists it is even more important we save what we have and encourage fish keepers to breed as pure a strain as possible.

When someone is offering fish for sale, if someone else suspects they are interbred, there is nothing wrong with a polite message being sent to that effect. The person selling may be unaware they are hybrids (or the person saying so may be incorrect for that matter) and welcome the information.

It is all in the wording - and some of it, unfortunately, leaves a lot to be desired. :-?

9 times out of 10 that polite message will be answered with sarcasm or with "that'sS what the people at the petshop told me they were" so you have to realize why people aren't usually polite about it. I have always gone direct to the source when I have had concerns about fish that I have been sold and usually told to smoke off by them..

There are so many dodgy cichlids especially africans out there it is really hard to know what is what, no doubt half of what we think is good and are working towards is not very good anyway so we just have to do our best with what we have.

If you got your male from "somewhere different" and had them all in the same tank then there is a potential that the fish are in fact hybrids and people would say they are dodgy.

End of the day it is a very difficult situation and very hard to ask someone questions or try and point something out when they think they are right (or you may well be wrong).

Do you have pictures or more details of the fish for sale so we can make an educated guess as to the likeliness of them being crossed?

I agree, That's why it frustrates me so much, I allways answer questions honestly because I don't want people to think i am liar or trying to shaft them etc...

And I can understand asking those questions if you are buying a fish for breeding pourposes.

but as for people hiding behind the computer and saying stuff, why can't they approach me or ask instead of accusing

also if I had purchased a fish that I didn't know was interbreed for breeding and someone else knew that it was I would appreciate being told that it was interbreed so I didn't use that fish for breeding.

The fish they had questioned on were not fish that I had breed, and I told them that also when I purchased them I didn't ask any quesstions about the history of them because I didn't intend/havn't breed them. but as for the fish that have breed of mine they are blue zebra and blue dolphin's, the dolphin's have only had one batch of fry for me and the blue zebra maybe about 3 or 4.

Sure i'll post some pic's of the blue zebra and the dolphin's to see what you think

I tried to resize them but i couldn't, i'll just delete them re-add them. Yes, I obviously knew the zebra's breed as I brought them as a trio, but when I brought the dolphins I had no plan for them to breed it just happened (and only has the once)

I would love to put them in there own tank, but sadley at the moment I don't have the room to.

it was frogtruck, the auction has now closed, since the day has gone on i thought maybe whoever told him that may have been talking about my baby fish, not my fish in general (because that's how it made me feel)

however I do realise that because when my fish have breed (the very few times that they have) because they are in a mixed species tank there is a chance they might have interbreed and when I have been asked buy potential buyers I have told them that they arn't in a tank buy themselves.

but anyway i'll keep trying to upload the pic's because when im able to I will put my dolphin's and zebra's in there own tank

judging by frogtrucks profile i wouldn't worry about what they said on your auction

as i think they might like a stir :D

i think a better quality of photo would be good to make a better judgement

the african cichlids are hard because of the great variety found in the lakes

personally i only breed in seperate breeding tanks with fish i am positive on as to identity

being honest when describing and selling your fish is all you can really do :wink:

well ive been told the zebras i got off you are afra's :bounce:

the male is one of our favorites :D

It is really hard to id zebras and unless you purchased them as afra then please don't go and rename them and start breeding and selling them as afra.. There are plenty of afra crosses out there that may throw back resembling them..

Yeah I would say hybrid zebra for the zebras as well so continue to sell them as blue zebras with no scientific name and you are admitting that anyway so essentially it doesn't matter what they breed with..