there goes my dream of owning a classic motorbike

Carlos & Siran

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that this morning too.. and tacking on another $100 on normal private vehicle registration!!! This is going to do wonders for the environment. You know, emissions and all that. With all the motorcycle users giving up their motorcycles in favour of cars, simply because its cheaper to register.

What can I claim ACC on? I need to claim back some of the $$ I've been paying into it and never claimed on even when I was entitled. :evil:

I need to claim back some of the $$ I've been paying into it and never claimed on even when I was entitled. :evil:

Well thats just plain foolish on your part... :roll:

The problem is that we have a half-baked semi-privatised semi-public health system. On the surface it seem fair enough increasing the levy given that bike riders pay $12M in levys and claim over $60M, but on the other hand rugby-related inuries claim about $40M and I bet they don't pay anywhere near that in levys.

Government needs to sort it out and decide if we're going to scrap ACC and have a user-pays health system, or if they're going to provide a decent level of health care for everyone, not just those too poor to afford private health insurance. Either option has got to be better than the current grossly inefficient system...

What can I claim ACC on? I need to claim back some of the $$ I've been paying into it and never claimed on even when I was entitled. :evil:

I know your leg pulling but that is one of the problems ACC and all benifits have. People try to get what they can instead of what they need when they need it.

ACC is an insurance policey that all people pay to help those that have a bit of bad luck. Its like all benifts (with the exception of the pension), they are supposed to be a had up not a life style.

A neibour was a fireman and was badly burnt a few years ago. Other than his burns he has told my wife that he is fine but he lives on ACC at 80% of his income. My wife asked when he was going back to work and his answer was typical of a lot. I wont work again, I tell the doctor that I get headaches so they keep me on ACC and the government pays me. Wrong. The government is not paying him. Your and my levies are paying him. His wife dosnt work! and he wont work again. Thats why the rates are going up.

All benifits are designed as a hand up not a life style and people need to be aware that its our taxes that are paying them and helping them out. Pride should make people want to become self reliant rather than rely on other people to supliment their income/lifestyle

I and none of my children have ever taken a thing from any form of benifit and hope I never need to. In saying that, Im more than happy for my taxes to help those that need a hand up to get a hand up. I dont want to support them, just to help them out

If motor cycles are the cause of big ACC payouts great, they should pay more.

Rugby (and other sports) would be harder as the health benifits through fitness may well help offset illhealth later?

If motor cycles are the cause of big ACC payouts great, they should pay more.

Rugby (and other sports) would be harder as the health benifits through fitness may well help offset illhealth later?

Slippery slope. Motorbikes produce less carbon emissions than a single person in a car and put less wear and tear on the road, so if you factor that into the equation maybe they shouldn't pay more. And if you take into consideration the amount of injuries to motorbike riders caused by crashes with cars where the car was at fault it would distort the figures even more....

If you're going to have a user-pays system then it needs to be across the board, not just selectively applied where it suits the government by producing more revenue.

Well thats just plain foolish on your part... :roll:

I don't think so. It was a minor injury, not worth the hassle that claiming on ACC seems to be. I coped just fine without it. I bet there are hundreds of people who really don't need it either, but they are just milking the system and making things worse for the honest people of this country.

I don't think so. It was a minor injury, not worth the hassle that claiming on ACC seems to be. I coped just fine without it. I bet there are hundreds of people who really don't need it either, but they are just milking the system and making things worse for the honest people of this country.

agree there

i can understand why motorbike rego is having a ACC hike. I was in the orthopeadic ward of whangarei hospital for 3 months. Being there that long left a lot of time to watch what goes on. There were generally two types of patients, old men with hip or knee replacements & those injured in a motorcycle crash. The problem is that whether its the bikies fault or not, when they get injured its a major & therefore costs alot to fix & with severe injuries it also takes a long time to heal or get back to work so ACC pays alot out on motorbike riders than car drivers.

If you've got a nice sport bike that you take out for a ride at the weekend and take to the track occasionally, and don't leave parked up very often, you'll be able to get caught 4 times a year before rego becomes a cheaper option. The fact that most 600cc+ bikes would out run a cop car with out breaking a sweat makes it even more of a waste of time registering it...

This really annoys me.

Earlier this year I owned 3 x 600cc bikes - total rego wouldve been 1800+ per year!

now down to one but just bought another. We are going to be protesting against this BIG TIME!

The problem is, other high risk people like cave divers, cyclists, rugby players etc.. dont pay ANYTHING except the small % from income tax.

Earlier this year I owned 3 x 600cc bikes - total rego wouldve been 1800+ per year!

That highlights another big flaw with the current system. The registration increase wouldn't be so bad if it was per rider, but as you point out, someone with 3 bikes is going to be paying 3 times the ACC levy of someone with only 1 bike despite there being no increase in risk of injury from owning multiple bikes due as you can only operate one bike at a time....

The could just make medical, car and public liability insurance and then you would not have to pay the ACC because you would be covered but how many people would moan and cry about that too.

It doesn’t matter how they change it there will always be a group that are not happy

That highlights another big flaw with the current system. The registration increase wouldn't be so bad if it was per rider, but as you point out, someone with 3 bikes is going to be paying 3 times the ACC levy of someone with only 1 bike despite there being no increase in risk of injury from owning multiple bikes due as you can only operate one bike at a time....

Why do you need 3 bikes?

You could sell one bike and use that cash to pay the rego on the other 2 for a few years. Or if you can afford to own 3 bikes then you should be be in a position were you are able to pay 3 regos

Why do you need 3 bikes?

You could sell one bike and use that cash to pay the rego on the other 2 for a few years. Or if you can afford to own 3 bikes then you should be be in a position were you are able to pay 3 regos

You dont understand :)

I had 3 bikes - one was a high performance track bike, one was a classic 'dunger' for commuting, and the other was my general weekend road bike for touring.

Its like trying to choose one car that you can use for getting to work, offroading, transporting 7 people, and moving furniture - so a holden berina? landcruiser? hi-ace? there isnt one that will do everything and do it well ;)

So you are using 1 of them for activities that have a high chance of you getting hurt and needing ACC and 2 of them that have a slightly increased risk of needing ACC (compared with a car that has air bags and safety stuff)?

If you are using something that is less safe and statistically more likely to injure you then why should you not may more for that?

Would you support my earlier comment about needing private insurance depending on individual’s activities and removing ACC?

I would support the privatisation of most NZ SOE's. What is happening right now with ACC is nothing but a highly hidden bailout.

When a company derives its funding from the NZ taxpayers, it must in my opinion adhere to the rules of capital adequacy. something along the lines of Basel II will ensure this does not happen again.

There are a lot of flaws with the current system.

• Displacement DOESN'T equal rider danger. A 250cc 2-stroke will easily outrun a 850cc parallel twin.

Off road riders, motocross, enduro and farm bikers don't pay a cent, but rack up an equal toll in injuries.

Scooter riders have always had a free ride when it comes to ACC, they've always paid the car rego levy, but been included in "motorcycle" ACC payouts.

People with multiple motorcycles pay multiple times - why, it's not like you can ride them all at once.

There is such a diverse range of rider mentalities, from people who ONLY ride in complete protective clothing (me), compared to those who think shorts and jandals are sufficient and think that high speed lane splitting and generally riding like an idiot is an acceptable thing to do - I'm looking at you, moped riders.

Quite a few riders only ride on the weekends, or rarely at all. Why should someone who rides only on the weekend be forced to pay the same outrageous levy as someone who rides daily.

Just a bit peeved off about the whole thing considering I've just bought my second bike.

Agreed Romeo! This stinks! My partner and I have three bikes between us (1000c for him, 250cc for me and a 600cc track bike- all Kwakas :wink: ) so its gonna hit us hard. There are several things that the govt can do to bring down bikers cost on the system-

A: FIX OUR ROADS, shingle on a corner to a motorcyclist can mean death, in a car you just carry on as per normal. Parts of the road often have much less adhesion from wear and this changes without warning, in the wet its often down to skill or quick thinking to avoid a potential slide.

B: TIN TOPS, people in cars dont see us, or dont want to see us, I could wear five grands worth of gear and still come off worse than the person in their $200 heap.

C: SCOOTERS and mopeds, are not bikes, are not warrented or registered, have alot of young inexperienced skool kids riding them and they come under this group? These people wont spend the $1000 on a possibly life saving helmet like most serious bikers and when their head gets crushed by what probably offers the protection of a cardboard box they complain? Please.

Overall I say good luck, if by the small chance this happens, we will own three unregistered vehicles.