Albino Krib throw back????

jas

Had my second pair of albino kribs spawn a while back

When my first pair spawned, all the fry were predictably albino too

With the second pair about a third of the fry seem to be colouring up as normal kribs. They're coming up 10mm now.

I'm no expert, but isn't the albino gene recessive and therefore 2 albino parents should't be able to have normal kids????

Just wondering if anyone knows more about this than I do...

Interesting, according to the link here: http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-pulcher.html#13

albinism is an incomplete dominant trait, homozygous dominant and Heterozygous fish look different as do the homozygous recessive

I take it this means I have 2 heterozygote fish breeding?? Haven't done genetics since school and only remember basic dominant recessice stuff.

Guess you learn something everyday, now to breed enough fish that I can see the differences for myself!

The other thing is that as far as genetic metabolic pathways go, many genes can be responsible for one feature.

thereby if one gene is missing out of the pathway, the feature may not be expressed. what it may mean is that your parents have 2 seperate parts of the pathway that in each is incomplete, but in some of the offspring it IS complete.

just another way that Genetics is AMAZING