Change my gravel color .. :/

AquaVitamins

Hello :)

In 140L community tank i have white gravel, but i heard it drains the color of the fish :/

What would be the easiest and cheapest way to channge to a dark gravel? I live by the airport, so do you know if there are any local areas where i could grab some or if i need to buy it, what do i buy and how much?

Thanks ! :bow:

I know what he means 8)

I've noticed that fish change their colour and behaviourd depending on their surroundings. For example, I had to move my BN's out of their tank (with dark grey gravel) and into a tank with light coloured sand. They changed their pattern to be more blotchy and lighter, they also seemed less active and wanting to hide more. The light reflection of the lighter coloured substrate can be bright for many fish and hence they change their colours to blend in.

Now, how to change it. This has been a popular topic recently, try reading through some of those threads. The general method of doing it is removing fish into another tank or container with the heater, filter and tank water too. Remove old substrate, place new substrate, replace with old tank water, add filter, heater and fish.

HTH

(Argh! Semi-nija'd! :oops: )

Do you think that i could just chuck the new stuff over the top ? :P

Landscaping place - would palmer's be ok "?

I have a 60L set up Atm i could move the fish to that whilst i take out the substrate, it sounds like a huge job!

Thanks for you input!

Thats how I did it when I wanted to change the fine gravel I had in the tank for a pea gravel, just put handfuls of washed pea gravel over the top of the finer gravel and spread it around. Didn't remove any plants or fish, I did remove some of the water though.

Darker substrates work best with most freshwater fish, if you have dived/snorkelled in most of their habitats you'll find that is the case .. basically the darker the bottom the more the fish feel safer, hence less stress, blotchy colours, odd behaviour etc. . but as said is mostly and not all the case.. have been to a few places and also been involved with professional aquarium setups back in NZ, and find that fish in general (Asian, African, Aust, American ) are more happy ( behaviour, colour, etc )...

this has to be offset by the owners preference so thats up to them in the end being the owners of these life forms ...

but this can be another story with brackish species.. :)

Ive noticed the change too, my bol rams are now in a tank with black silica they seem far far happier, I also think the texture has made a difference too on them though, from course gravel for the ugf too this nice fine silica. The corys are loving it too, also put a black background on that tank seening as no fighters are in there to stress over nasty reflection fish.

Ive noticed the change too, my bol rams are now in a tank with black silica they seem far far happier, I also think the texture has made a difference too on them though, from course gravel for the ugf too this nice fine silica. The corys are loving it too, also put a black background on that tank seening as no fighters are in there to stress over nasty reflection fish.

where do you get the black silica sand from ? i got the white stuff but since my severums have lighen'd up i want to get some black sand for the new tank they are going in eventually :) other wise i will try the grey play sand thats in my daughters sand pit