Who keeps Killifish? Whats the deal with them?

AquaVitamins

I was wondering if i could get one to put in my community tank,

(1 beta, 15neons, GS Pleco, 5 kuhliu loaches, 4 platys and 3 female betas in a 150L)

But i have read lots of conflicting story's about keeping one with the betas, as they might not be compatible :/

also apparently there are heaps of diff. types and levels of aggression between each..

Can someone help me out with this?

there would be possible 10,000 diferent killis

We have about 25 to 30 here in NZ but more turn up from time to time

As with most fish, the larger see the smaller as food so larger types would not be advised with things like neons.

Fish like Striatum, Australe and Biteatiatum (I know the spelling will be wrong on that but as Im at work, I dont have my books here) should be fine. One would not be advisable as you simply would not see it but a few should hang out together and be fine.

Killi fish are no more agressive than other fish that will eat live food. What gives them a bad rap is the name

Most are jumpers so you need a covered tank and to have the lid tight fitting but in saying that, I doupt that I would loose more than 2 or 3 per year total from all my tanks.

I keep my Killies in a community tank with Corys & Ottos and 2 GAEs atm, but I have also keep them with rummy nose and cardinal tetra, blue rams, kuhlius ... others I have forgotten. In all cases I have not had a problem.

I would recommend (and I think this spelling is right);

Aphyosemion australe

Aphyosemion Striatum

Aphyosemion Bitaeniatum

Pseodepiplatys annulatus

Poropanchax Normani

I had a fighter in with my Aphyosemion Bitaeniatum and my fighter got munched - It was a small AR380 tank tho. My figher was promptly moved to my AR126 where he is recovering quite nicely. I stupidly thought that cos the Bitaeniatum were so small they would be ok... I underestimated the power of the tiny blokes. In a bigger tank things may have been different.

there would be possible 10,000 diferent killis

We have about 25 to 30 here in NZ but more turn up from time to time

As with most fish, the larger see the smaller as food so larger types would not be advised with things like neons.

Fish like Striatum, Australe and Biteatiatum (I know the spelling will be wrong on that but as Im at work, I dont have my books here) should be fine. One would not be advisable as you simply would not see it but a few should hang out together and be fine.

Killi fish are no more agressive than other fish that will eat live food. What gives them a bad rap is the name

Most are jumpers so you need a covered tank and to have the lid tight fitting but in saying that, I doupt that I would loose more than 2 or 3 per year total from all my tanks.

Aqua

These are the 3 Im suggesting

AphyAustrateGold.jpg?t=1254377287

C.Bitaeniatum.jpg?t=1254377328

and

AphyStriatum.jpg?t=1254377372

I havnt got a photo of the Nomani but the Clown or Rocket killi that Omnix mentioned is

PesuAnnulatus.jpg?t=1254377459

Zev sent me some, on accident :o :roll:

She sent me some Riccia :bow: and a week or so later, I caught two tiny little fry swimming around. There was more but I couldn't catch them. Plopped them in the net breeder and they're still alive today, showing colouring now that suggests they are one of the above.

its a pity they jump!

OMG I love jumping fish, I want to get a photo of my female fighter jumping to get a mozzie from my hand its looks incredible how she coils up, takes aim then leaps. Mums camera just doesnt work well for taking pic of a still fish in an aquarium, I tried but it was just a blur, guess I might have to splash out one of these days on a nice camera.

She also has Dagei

The clowns/Rockets are very very small so I would doupt that its them, If the eyes are shiny they will probably be Nomani

Of the 3 of those, they would be the largest

They are not Dageti - wrong tank!

I offered to send him some more to keep his two company, but he hasn't risen to the bait yet! :wink:

I offered to send him some more to keep his two company, but he hasn't risen to the bait yet! :wink:

Oh rly?

Zev- I removed the breeder net into an icecream container full of tank water after spending 5 mins trying to suck them out with a pipette, they're fine, getting less afraid of me by the day. I might like some more... :P

And you call yourself an Administrator!

hey peace all!! ... have snorkelled with killies over here, and rainbow fish, other odd looking dudes and yabbies, turtles etc at gardner falls , yet to I.D any of them , bluddy fast bugga's ... gonna bring nets next time, and hopefully post water testing & pics of my collecting..

but getin back to killies , best advice as most would say , kill the PH , java moss & sphagnum moss ,& put lids on your tanks :)