Sumps - how have you plumbed your return?

lmsmith

I'd recommend using glued PVC pipe rather than push fit hoses, I've seen them leak too many times. Another option you could look into is what they call spa flex, it's glued pressure pipe but flexible so you don't need elbows etc. The only problem is I haven't seen it in NZ (but I haven't looked hard), it's talked about a lot on overseas forums so I assume you can buy it.

As Ira says up and over is the best simplest option, your return needs to go close to the surface anyway so you can have an anti syphon hole.

I have done something liek what has been described above with glued pressure pipe.

However I have in my 6 ft tank run teh spray bar to the bottom of the tank. This means that any debrie in my rock work is pushed up and out depending on the angle of the spray bar. It also means that there are swirls or current coming across the rocks so that even though there is around 3000 l an hour of return it is diffuse.

I did have to experiment with my antisyphon hole which I drilled at an angle upwards and into the return pipe just on water level. I have never had the tank back syphon and I use white gravel and rocks but as I am relatively slack on water changes it is hard to tell...lol

In a 4 ft tank I have my return plumbed into a series of under gravel plates with my rockwork on top. A reverse undergarvel filter so to speak and this to works well but only with fish that dont dig teh rock work about.

HTH

Navarre

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of having the return on the bottom. I don't really want to drill too many holes in it though, and also want to avoid leaking as much as possible.

The plan is to have the least intrusive return possible, I think I might do something like you have craig, with a single return just on water level. No risk of a back-syphon, and it's pretty unobtrusive.