Treatment for Turtle damaged by dog - graphic pic

livingart

OK, so I sent photos to vet and this is reply re baytril doses.....

HI Donna,

I spoken to Pauline, Ross is gone for the day: so you have to debride the lesions, and try to get all the broken shell out of the holes.

The soak is: 1ml of 2.5% baytril injectable per 12l of water daily for 3days, with very good/long dry time after soak.

Oral dose for baytril in this nasty case should be 10mg/kg every 24h (or as injection into muscle), of baytril 2.5%.

Hope that helps, and it gets better soon!

Kind Regards

Veronika

Subject: Urgent Help please

thanks donna

i pulled out what shell fragments were visible originally

will up baytril dose as i was unsure and used under what veronika recommended

i have passed this onto vet

turtle has been to vet, diagnosis was the usual :D

vet hadn't heard of baytril bath

still eating so able to get ABs orally

Great that shes still eating! I've been using those bio-supplies 'turtle treats' with good success to get ABs into the more 'tricky' turtles. A smaller 'wasp lava' slightly defrosted holds the baytril if injected into it and turtle will usually swallow in one gulp :lol:

Yes, baytril soaks are somewhat newer on the tmt plan I believe, but seem to have a positive outcome in most cases.

Bone cement at the vet is an option if the fracture needs holding together a bit more.

Possibly a pretty slim chance of survival in the long term I imagine tho.... but I hope to see her in person when we visit at end of Oct :bounce: :bounce:

Thats a good heal LA

The reason I suggest no honey is whilst it is an old remady and it does occasionally work it uses High sugar content to kill bugs. My Gran swore by it. That and spiders web

This high sugar content also creates a large osmotic pull which in humans does increase blood flow to the area thus perfusing the area with TIMPS MMPs and other white blood cells it can also cause pain related to localised inflamatory response. This coupled with the thermoreglatory and digestive process turts have and the way they excreate uric acids etc would, I have guessed, not be advisable especially when their kidneys and general cardiovascular and circulatory sytem has already been insulted.

The link listed probably sugests UMHF which is a Unique Manuka Honey factor found in NZ Manuka Honey. This is great for my sore throat as I use Comvita Honey Lozenges ( Thanks Trudi) for that but I wouldnt put it in a Wound.

Ag ( Thats Silver) comes in 3 active forms for wound care Nanocrystaline, Ionic and Coloidal ( how ever its spelt)

Any Ag in parts of (if memory serves me correctly) 1/1000000 come out of solution. Ag salts and crystals are cytotoxic to fibroblasts and lukocytes. (these are the bits that heal wounds). Silver in this concentration is also hepato and nephro toxic and trace can be found in the lymph of humans in even smaller doses so I would be careful of using it in an animal with such a low and slow weight and metabolism. Silvazine was in its time leading edge dressing cream for burns et al and it uses nanocrystaline Ag. Once open this expensive cream can grow bugs in the medium it uses to transport the Ag.

As for internet experts. I have already stated I dont have much nouse when it comes to Turts but I am working on that.

However I am a paramedic with St John a RCpN with a PGDip and was for 5 years the top sales manager and then the international Marketing manager for a multinational company whom made and sold the countries leading dressings.

So this is something I know a smidge about

That how ever is beside the point the silverzine may be a good way to treat the local infection but it is water soluble to a point so may also need to be applied more than once per day. I would avoid the turt eating it and it can be brought form the chemist and i think it retals for around $70 a tube but talk to your local medical sales people ( I think Capes are near you LA) re a near expired one perhaps

HTH

Navarre

forgot to mention Superglue.

Sorry

Skin or tissue glue is just medical grade 2 part glue that is used to "stitch" kids and some face lacs.

That may be an option for some of those shell cracks and holes?

It may also not work but it was something I was thinking of today

Good luck LA and keep up the good work

Navarre

thanks for the info nav

some old treatments have now been improved on or proved to negate as well as help healing

when i first started with turts no one knew anything about them so it was a matter of trial and error

nowadays more medically minded or science based people are trialling different treatments which is enhancing our knowledge base

when "truck first came to me i had been rung by a vet asking how to repair a cracked shell on a turtle

i suggested the fibreglass option, 9 days later she was brought to me

very lethargic all limbs and head hanging

the shell had been patched with car bondofill, which produces heat while curing

picked her up and examined her, then gave her the sniff test, she smelt rotten

after picking at the edge of carapace a small piece of shell came away and some not nice stuff came out

we flushed the hole that was left behind with saline solution and removed 20 plus maggots

the bog had started to lift around the edges and a large piece of shell was coming with it, effectively the middle of the "Y"

so the fibreglass was placed over this, 2 x daily salt barhs and a 21 days aBs

she floated that side down for about 4 months but slowly straightened up

she was dry docked for the first 4 weeks

i didn't think she would make it but they are resiliant things

PS. donna on a bad side fracture you could glue a flat piece of aluminium or hard plastic bent to shape over the edge to hold the shell out to stop collapse on that side

LA, does the turt you "glassed" still shed scutes and stuff and how long did the "glass" stay in place?

Did you manage to leave a small gap to treat any infection or cover the whole thing.

The good thing about Larval therapy is that maggots only eat decaying flesh so they are great at getting rid of anything that is rotten or dead. Problem with them is that they secreate enzymes that damage healthy flesh so they have more to eat...lol

That is why the medical grade ones now come in little tea bags so we dont have to count them in or out like we used to and that the area they inhabit is limited...lol.

Still good things tho not as much fun to play with as the leaches...lol

Navarre

she doesn't shed properly on that part

it was on for about 6 months then fell off, it was about 16 years ago

you can't quite see it in bottom of photo but there is a piece missing out the side of the shell

this is where we extracted the maggots from, this was left open and washed daily for a few weeks

the side has now got no hole

i was told that she was a euthanasia case as the "T" was cracked and a semi circle at the top of y was fractured and as they can't regrow bone it wouldn't heal properly

i don't know anything about this but that turtle is very lucky to be in the "collective hands" of people that are willing to take time out of their day & work very hard at keeping it alive, many animals aren't so lucky. :)

good work & good luck.

Hear hear! I am very impressed and encouraged that there are so many people on here willing and able to offer help to a poor wee animal that is suffering.

Good on you all and good luck to the patient. :hail:

update Turtle is still alive and seems to be progressing well

still on baytril baths etc and dry docking

still biting the hand that feeds it

aoppetite dropped off, thought it might be the dry docking

so threw some guppies in a tank and the turtle went hunting and ate a few

still a long way to go

• 1 month later...

unbelevably still alive and doing well

she is back in her owners care, next time she is in i will take a pic

she is still being dry docked with daily swims

edges of wounds have dried off with no noticeable die back to date