Treatment for Turtle damaged by dog - graphic pic

livingart

I would actually be more concerned with the saliva than the wound itself.have you done the hydrogen peroxide treatment to disinfect? (or something similar?)

vetadine is good, and i would continue with that. A calcium supplement at this time would be good too..

that is one tough cookie.

Thanks so much for helping her Mark, she bought it into me and I had no clue whether it needed vet treatments or something just like you have suggested to her so I sent her your way :oops: It wasnt bleeding freely when she saw me but that was in the morning around 10am. Hopefully its ok :o

I agree about the bacteria in the salvia. Antibiotics would be the go for dog bites. Used to be a vets nurse and infection was nearly always a complication .Also seen a few guys end up in hospital for days after a dog bite.

We used to put in a drain or keep the wound open for a few days to let it heal from the inside out and stop it abcessing. Not sure how you could do that with a turtle shell in the way though. Perhaps sticking gauze swabs into the wounds to prevent closing.

Good luck - hope it makes it.

not the worst dog versus turtle i have treated

puncture wounds are piercing shell but not too deep

the edge of the carapace is the worst bit

vet treatment was not financially an option for the owner so no antibiotics:cry:

thanks for sending her over sharn it is remarkable how tough animals are

maybe bleeding freely was not a good choice of words

i have a turtle that was run over by a truck 16 years ago, still going strong

As the wounds are not superficial they will require antibiotic treatment. Topical treatment will not have any effect on systemic infection and will likely result in septicemia. Can i suggest some pain relief , Metacam , a pain relief medication for cat and dogs has proven effective for turtles (prescription med from vet)

Necrotic and infected tissue will develop and should be removed , with topical treatments applied ,this is often to painful and needs to be done under anesthetic as is generally needed with serious shell rot infections.

If the owner is not willing to pay for treatment then they should as least pay to humanly euthanize the animal .

Also do a full soak (bath) in baytril solution. I've just done that for a girl covered in small sores possibly from thorns. Need to sus out the rate tho.... Send an email thru to Ross or Pauline at [email protected] for dose rate and frequency. If she drinks some of the solution, then all the better.

I think it was 1 ml per 10 litres clean water but could be completely wrong! Good tmt for such open wounds tho. :( But yes I'd be treating orally or injecting baytril as well.

Also a sprinkle of pertassium permanganate is good to stop bleeding...and yes I'd be doing a clean with peroxide and a soft toothbrush first on all that open stuff :o

Going to be a long haul to get that one back to health :( Good luck!!!

HI Guys,

I am not a vet and I am only trying to help so please dont take this the wrong way.

Also I have not been been involved in Tx repts like this before so...

I would be carefully of the Hydrogen peroxide it is a strong oxidisng agent and it will kill infection but it will also kill the healthy cells that are produced in wound healling so please keep that in mind.

The iodine/betadine solutions also fall into this catagory and are also accumualtive in the kidney. We no longer use this type of solution for wounds as it causes more harm than it does good.

I know nothing about baytril etc and so wont comment on that.

Saline baths are good for low grade infex and you guys will know more about that than me in this case but again be aware of osomtic pull and its effects on the kidneys when they have already had a traumatic insult such as in this case.

Wound chanels are indeed less likely to infex or sinus (Heal at the top but not the bottom) if deep and not packed but I would not use gauze to do this as it leaves fibres and can make any infex worse. Also do not use honey or colloidal silver as again these are conta indicated in wound healling ( yes I know Ag dressings but it is different and Honey is a wifes tale).

So finally if I can give you one piece of advise it wouldl be this pick one tx regime and stick to it. Dont mix and match. If it fails then you know what has failed and can tailor the next soultion to the problem, whilst hopefully minamilsing the impact on the turt.

Hope it is doing well and it is a good thing it is still eating and drinking.

HTH

Nav

I would be carefully of the Hydrogen peroxide it is a strong oxidisng agent and it will kill infection but it will also kill the healthy cells that are produced in wound healling so please keep that in mind.

I know nothing about baytril etc and so wont comment on that.

So finally if I can give you one piece of advise it wouldl be this pick one tx regime and stick to it. Dont mix and match. If it fails then you know what has failed and can tailor the next soultion to the problem, whilst hopefully minamilsing the impact on the turt.

Hope it is doing well and it is a good thing it is still eating and drinking.

HTH

Nav

Yes, I agree with Nav. The peroxide should be a 1/10 soln and should only be used for the first initial clean.

Baytril is widely used and effective for turts. Either bathing and inj (or oral) and so long as dose per weight is correct, it will be fine.

Yes, sticking to one tmt is best. Personally I'd think for me I'd be doing the initial clean of wounds (even if they bleed and poss need a sprinkle of permanganate), then stick to baytril inj, dry docking and 2 periods of rehydrating/ eating etc in very clean water daily. And one soak in a baytril bath prior to dry docking for the night.

The girl I had out of the river, with a hole right thru her carapace exposing the flesh, responded most to dry docking...stressful tho that is for a turtle...and once there was a thin film of skin over the hole, betadine was used as well. With your one thats a huge amount of bone exposed for a turtle :( I'd be worried about her pain levels and the dog saliva and its incredible risk of infection in its victim :( Maybe the baytril baths need to be more frequent? Thats where I'd want a vets advice.....

If you'd like, I can speak to our zoo vet and get some advice. We had a couple come in with a severe case of shell rot, and they got treated with silvazine to help shell regrowth and keep the wounds clean. They were also on a 6 week course of baytril, so thats a winner.

I'll email the photos to her and see what she says.

i would bet that some of the people on this forum, and no doubt others that mark has talked to would know more than the average vet about treating turtles, and are more likely to have first hand experiance. I'm sure turtle will get the best care possible and be euthanised if she doesn't improve.

Dangerous stuff when internet "experts" give advice on vet treatments. May I suggest contacting the local animal welfare shelter or SPCA ?? Maybe euthansisia is appropriatte instead of internet experimentation

Afew people that have given advise already, are very expereinced with dealing with injured turtles, and there are very few vets that know anything about turtles.

Good luck LA I am hoping this wee turts pulls through