Dog-proof Tennis Balls?

Southerrrngirrl

Completely off topic here, but I was wondering are there any tennis balls designed for dogs? At the moment we are going through heaps of tennis balls a month playing fetch with our Jayde. We have one of those plastic ball thrower thingys, and she LOVES playing fetch and we love playing it with her but she has this habit of chewing the ball as she's retrieving it, which results in punctured tennis balls. Telling her not to chew it doesn't seem to work. :roll:

Any ideas?

i to have that problem - but find the cheapy balls you buy last all of seconds but we now buy the expensive balls from sports shops last alot longer usually replace it maybe once a month and withstand major munching from our Mastiff - i can't remeber the brand we buy now my dogs have slobber the name off :D possibly be sterling? they come in tubes of 3.

Ah ha. Just as I suspected. Sports shop brand ones, while far more expensive, are longer lasting.

I thought you could buy balls for dogs at pet shops? Surely they have them the same size as a tennis ball that would fit in the thrower.

Yeah I've seen the ones at the petshop here but thought they'd just be overpriced cheapies, like the ones I currently get.

i to have that problem - but find the cheapy balls you buy last all of seconds but we now buy the expensive balls from sports shops last alot longer usually replace it maybe once a month and withstand major munching from our Mastiff - i can't remeber the brand we buy now my dogs have slobber the name off :D possibly be sterling? they come in tubes of 3.

Thats good to know Mel, Jayde is a Bull Mastiff/Black Lab x!

get the solid core ones.

they are good.

about 5 bucks each - really strong and hard and they float in the water - do perfect for river fetch games

Is that the Kongs ones you are talking about or something different? I was thinking a solid core would be the way to go. More difficult for silly puppy to chew!

HI There,

A kong last about 30 mins with my Bullie.

How ever the solid "mint balls" ( thats enuff Living Art) last much longer.

The smaller sizes fit in the throw thing but are harder to throw cause they are heavier.

Do not use criket or hockey balls as these have a sold core and a hard outer but can crack and in the middle is miles of rubber like a big rubber band and your dog can choke on these.

master pet have some solid tennis balls I think.

Good luck ...lol effort is well worth it eh?

Navarre

Yea those Mint balls are really good, I brought one prolly about a year ago now, and it's still going strong - also the black kongs XL is super that hasn't even got any bite marks on it and the dogs love it when i stuff them with goodies and freeze them :D

the balls i mean are made out of the same rubber as kongs, but they are solid right through so theres no 'give' in the middle to let them be chewed up. I don't know who makes them, ours came without any label, but its lasted through 20-odd foster dogs and puppies without being damaged, and regular soakings in bleach. If i knew where it was i'd offer it to you but the last i saw it was in the garden a few months back..

no doubt it'll show up when the lawns are mowed.

I built a spud gun (spouting, reducer, end cap & bbq lighter) for my cousin to use as a tennis ball launcher for his hyper active hunting dog. It works really well, sends the ball between 75 & 100 metres at a guess & after 5 launches or so the dog is tired & doesn't want to play.

I built a spud gun (spouting, reducer, end cap & bbq lighter) for my cousin to use as a tennis ball launcher for his hyper active hunting dog. It works really well, sends the ball between 75 & 100 metres at a guess & after 5 launches or so the dog is tired & doesn't want to play.

lol Sounds good. We have a hard time wearing our two out.

there's also the flyball machines used for flygility - dog steps on plate, ball shoots, dog runs and gets ball and drops back in top to play again. Doesn't take long for a smart dog to learn how to work them, and keep themselves amused for ages :)

Ah... that may be so.

But can you "teach and old dog this new trick?" :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

different colours in kongs mean different things.

the greens and blues and pinks are soft.

the reds are harder,

and the blacks are the strongest.

generally if a black kong gets chewed up it is the norm to replace it.

the solid core balls i am talking about may be made by masterpet I think. not 100% sure, but they are branded as solid core balls.

yeah we had a pair of black puppy kongs that were years old and still good, one had teeth marks on the end from a pitty but that was all. Had to throw them out after being in contact with parvo, and i was shocked at the price for replacements, but i guess its worth it when they last so long.

different colours in kongs mean different things.

generally if a black kong gets chewed up it is the norm to replace it.

the solid core balls i am talking about may be made by masterpet I think. not 100% sure, but they are branded as solid core balls.

LOL you try telling that to a 38kg 18 month old Bull Terrier. Especially when you are teh one tryingto get the blardy thing out of his mouth.

He destroys those things and the solid balls are quickly minced...but that is ok cause they are easy to bait him with in the show ring...lol...especially when filled with Peanut butter..lol.

See here...www.boxtonandtennille.com to see some photos...lol.

Another idea might be a "holey roller" if you can find any. I like the bigger ones cause they can be kicked and thrown or the "rubber rings" which are great cause you can throw them like a frisby and they come with toothy cleaning rubber spikey things so dogs get dental hygine and exercise.

HTH

Navarre

you can teach old dogs any trick, i think they learn faster than scatterbrained young 'uns :lol:

That flygility thing sounds great too! Our old dog Bob, he's probably about 8-9 years old, we've had him since he was 2-3 years and we never had anything to do with his training. I know he never went to puppy training, and think he just got taught the basic "sit" and "come" commands. But Jayde we had from a puppy so took her to puppy training and I'm pretty sure Bob learnt the "down" command from just watching me practicing with Jayde. I certainly never taught him it and had never tried it on him in the years we had him, until recently I did try and he did it first time perfectly.

Thanks for all the suggestions, next time I'm at the petstore I'll have a look for these solid core balls. I was in The Warehouse during my lunch hour and got some tennis balls there that felt quite hard, I compared them to the other cheaper ones they had and there was a significant difference, so those will keep us going for a bit hopefully. I also got a rugby ball to try out. I think the unpredictable bounce of a rugby ball might be something new and fun for the dogs to try. They appear to get a bit bored chasing balls over and over again.

The rugby ball is a good idea but I find tha teh dogs can get a grip on the "thin" end and puncture them so I have used soccer balls with success. Only thing is you need to keep them pumped up.

HTH

Navarre

No! See I tried soccer balls in the past and Bob would always get his teeth in the bits where the stitching is, then it was all over for the soccer ball. Apart from the first one I bought (which I now can't remember where I got it from!!) they only last minutes before they are punctured.

I never thought about the thinner end of the rugby ball... oh well I'm hoping that the material will be too tough for them to puncture... lol yeah right! We'll see eh.

LOL NAv.

if you came to me wanting to buy one of thopse for that breed, id steer you away from it, and ask you invest in a nice long piece of wood or something like that. hahaha.

I got danes. Zeus and Poseidon practically swallowed the last kongs i sent home for them.

the again a 100kg ish dog, it would be expected. :lol:

We have a green big rubber ball (20cm width) thats hollow and has heaps of holes. It has a blue smaller soft ball in the middle which floats and its lasted 6+ months with two 55kg rotties tugging on it and chewing it. Our oldest pops Tuff balls (tennis balls with super thick side walls) but this green thing has lasted ages, I guess because it just folds under their chompers. Its made by Masterpet and should be at the LPS. Wouldnt work in a ball thrower but might be a toy that will last a little longer. We have had solidcores in the past they lasted ages but we cant get them anymore (and we have a 'intellectually challenged' dog who would probably jump into its path and get knocked out given the chance)

We have a green big rubber ball (20cm width) thats hollow and has heaps of holes. It has a blue smaller soft ball in the middle which floats and its lasted 6+ months with two 55kg rotties tugging on it and chewing it. Our oldest pops Tuff balls (tennis balls with super thick side walls) but this green thing has lasted ages, I guess because it just folds under their chompers. Its made by Masterpet and should be at the LPS. Wouldnt work in a ball thrower but might be a toy that will last a little longer. We have had solidcores in the past they lasted ages but we cant get them anymore (and we have a 'intellectually challenged' dog who would probably jump into its path and get knocked out given the chance)

Thanks Sharn, I'll keep an eye out for that one, it sounds good.