interesting article- is this fish in nz?

spoon

not that I am aware (and I have almost all that you can get here) but every now and then you see some here that have either been called somthing incorrectly for years or a new shipment arrives.

There is a Auckland shop that has just recieved some Killis and they did not realise how colourfull they were.

Wonder how many the staff ended up with :wink: :lol:

This killifish sound very similar to Rivulus marmoratus.

I took care of a colony of hundreds at my old university for a couple profs who were doing research on them. Really interesting fish! Quite bland in colour and appearance but they are hermaphordites! Plus they can live months out of water in a closed petri dish on some moistened paper towels. Each fish was housed in an individual cup (like a cup you give your pee sample in) and I had to keep track of who its parent was, what line it came from, how many eggs it layed, and how many of those hatched! BIG binder!

They ate hatched brine shrimp, lived in brakish water and received weekly 100% water changes that worked in rotation. I even took a few post experimental ones home in a little compunity tank.

I miss them a little ;)

Oh is see! I didn't realize the name was adjusted!

Actually I did my B.Sc. in Canada, so I have no idea if these fish have been brought into NZ. I think they only occur naturally in Florida. I doubt they are here, and if they are, then its likely for research purposes only. I can put you in contact with people in Canada and Japan who have them...

Rivulus marmoratus is the old name for them exactly the same fish as Kryptolebias marmoratus

Aquilam_11 Would you know of anyone who might still have some?

some of the strange behaviours of fish interest me im sort of looking for something a lil diferent for my next project i dont know if this fish will be for me as i understand the importance of breeding killifish and i wouldnt want to mess it up

There is no skill involved with these fish! They are simultaneous hermaphrodites so they just drop eggs...you don't have to do anything ;) You don't even have to have more then 1 fish!

some of the strange behaviours of fish interest me im sort of looking for something a lil diferent for my next project i dont know if this fish will be for me as i understand the importance of breeding killifish and i wouldnt want to mess it up