OMGosh I have platy fry!

BikBok

I just did a water change on my tank and discovered I had platy fry in there! I had no idea they were there or for how long.

They look way bigger than guppy newborns so what is the avg size of a newborn platy? just trying to figure out how old they are.

I gave them some dacaps brine shrimp eggs but they seem uninterested... what next? crushed flakes?

a few have tasted the decaps but they don't seem that keen! my guppy fry gobble them up!

Eeek I got a fright when I turned the tank back on.. the filter didn't go! I took out the impeller and checked that it was clean and free of gunk and reasembled everything twice over before it worked again. Hope it's not going to fail anytime soon. (it's only 4 months old - came with the blue planet)

i have 5 too, they have to share with the betta but they've outrun him everytime and now I think he's given up!

Baby wags - sooo cute with their little black tails.

I'm also excited that one of my male guppy frys is now 4 weeks old and looks like he's going to be a snakeskin! Yay!

How soon do these guys breed? he's already waggling that gonopodium and following the girls.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a online growth chart for platy fry? Just wondering how quickly they'll grow and what age would be suitable to rehome them.

The parents are red/orange wagtails , what can I expect the babies to be?

So far at 10 days they all have black or mostly black tails and fins. And some look more red than the others and some have patchy blotches of black over their body too... does this mean I'll have all sorts or will they eventually colour up as red wagtails.

Sorry for the terrible and tiny photo but here is a pic of the three i could get on camera...

BikBok-platy110daysold-iii.jpg

at what age can you tell male and female apart? are they like guppies and the males slowly grow a gonopdium from one of their fan fins?

Any other tell tale signs because I can't detect a gravid spot on the adult female.. let alone looking for one in fry!