Cleaned my filter - first time in 15 months!

whetu

:o

It's not actually as bad as it sounds. I run two Eheim cannister filters. Filter#1 I run 'properly' with genuine Eheim media, regularly cleaned and maintained. Filter#2 is just packed full of cheap ceramic noodles and hasn't been cleaned since we moved to this house in May 2008!

Anyway I cleaned Filter#2 today just for fun. OMG it was eeewww inside! :lol: Well actually it just had a lot of black gunk in the bottom - didn't smell bad or anything (which is what I would expect from a filter that's got water flowing through it at a reasonable rate).

It was a bit like doing an archaeological dig though. I had forgotten that about a year ago I made a sandpit for my fish to play in. Actually it was a peat pit - a shallow dish full of peat, with food pellets hidden under the peat. Well it seemed like a good idea at the time, but a few vigorous tail-swishes from my clown loaches and all the peat was out of the dish and all over the tank. :lol: Today I rediscovered where about half a kilo of peat had gone... inside the filter of course!

That's all the news from me - just wanted to share what I did with my day off! :bounce:

Whetu, check out my video here of my mudfish tank. It has a thick peat substrate and leaf litter on top. Also bits of wood they wriggle under.

No filter because, as you found, it would just get sucked up. It gets 50% water changes every week (or two).

Just in case you were thinking of trying it again....

I am a big fan of leaving filters for long periods. That is how they are supposed to work. A sponge over the inlet is a good idea to stop solids getting into the filter, but other than that, the bacteria should just be left to do their thing.

I have my Aqua One CF1200 been running for over twelve months. Not opening it for cleaning until I notice a drop in water flow. As Stella mentioned, the longer its been running the better.

All my tests come up sweet so no need to change it. I imagine though it will look much like yours when I do Whetu. LOL

Oh that's good to know - I'm not the only person here with a filter that hasn't been cleaned since Adam was a fry! :P

Actually after looking in my 15-month-uncleaned filter today, I would be confident that I could have left it for much, much longer without touching it. I mean sure there was a heap of gunk in the bottom but the flow was still good and like I said nothing was nasty and festering in there.

So what media do you all run in your low-maintenance filters? I assume not the fine filter wool that would get clogged reasonably fast? Do you have one mechanical filter and a different biological filter? Do share! :D

Wow Stella the mudfish look so excited lol and it does look like they're protesting at not getting fed. On one forum i visit quite often, they recommend that cannister filters be cleaned once every few months or so if the filter is being used as mechanical filtration as well. This is due to the gunk build up which leads to a build up of nitrates...high nitrates levels affect the health of the fish. What do you guys think about it?

Wow Stella the mudfish look so excited lol and it does look like they're protesting at not getting fed. On one forum i visit quite often, they recommend that cannister filters be cleaned once every few months or so if the filter is being used as mechanical filtration as well. This is due to the gunk build up which leads to a build up of nitrates...high nitrates levels affect the health of the fish. What do you guys think about it?

I have a nitrate test kit and my main problem is getting enough nitrate in the tank, not too much! Mine is a rather heavily planted tank, so I suppose if you have a planted tank and keep an eye on the nitrates you would get a feel for it if that was becoming a problem. Another potential issue would be a dropping pH so that would be something else to keep an eye on. My tank has driftwood and (had) peat in the filter so it tends to keep the pH low anyway. If I was also adding CO2 I would need to monitor the pH and make sure I didn't make pickled fish in vinegar! :o