Anyone here speak - or more importantly, write Portuguese?

Zev

We have a work colleague shifting to Madeira shortly, and we are going to make him up a phrase book, but we need a few obscure phrases that you don't normally find in a phrase book (don't worry, nothing dodgy, honest)

It always has to be food with you, doesn't it Wok?

Madeira is an island off the coast of Portugal, and foodwise he traditional cake of Madeira is called "Bolo de mel", which translates as "Honey Cake" from the sugarcane honey molasses that is grown there.

Don't know if I trust the translation sites, might get the poor guy in trouble!

Don't know if I trust friends, might get the poor guy in trouble.

Phrase: "Hello ma'am, how are you?" Translation: "Por favor, posso apertar o seu peito? Eles são muito simpáticos e alegres. Gostaria de lancha deles."

Although translating back into english google appears to lose the boobs and motorboats references...

Don't know if I trust friends, might get the poor guy in trouble.

Phrase: "Hello ma'am, how are you?" Translation: "Por favor, posso apertar o seu peito? Eles são muito simpáticos e alegres. Gostaria de lancha deles."

Although translating back into english google appears to lose the boobs and motorboats references...

:o

Translation: Portuguese » English

Por favor, posso apertar o seu peito? Eles são muito simpáticos e alegres. Gostaria de lancha deles.

Please, can squeeze your chest? They are very friendly and cheerful. I would like to launch them.

:lol:

lol

I used Yahoo! babel fish and put in the above sentence as Dixon did and got something slightly different:

Please, I can press its chest? They are very likeable and glad. She would like motor boat of them.

:lol:

Yeah I don't know that I would trust the translation sites either.

I think they're ok for one way, but each translation just makes it worse...

When we were in Brunei we watched Shark Tale (while waiting for the lightning storm and rain to pass). If I remember correctly, the sound was in original English but the written subtitles must have been translated from Malaysian (or something else) back into English. The results were hilarious. At one point, the fish cried "Look out! He's behind you!!" The words underneath said "Look out, he is in your behind!" :lol:

When we were in Brunei we watched Shark Tale (while waiting for the lightning storm and rain to pass). If I remember correctly, the sound was in original English but the written subtitles must have been translated from Malaysian (or something else) back into English. The results were hilarious. At one point, the fish cried "Look out! He's behind you!!" The words underneath said "Look out, he is in your behind!" :lol:

ROFL thats hilarious! Where can I get my hands on a copy? heheheh