Female about to explode!?

SamH

I have a female red cambodian fighter who has been ehavy with eggs ever since I got her. I tried spawning her with my CT male but no luck there. I popped her back in my biggest tank and now she chooses the corner by the net breeder to hang out, she rarely moves from there. She looks as if she's about to explode, literally. It doesn't seem like a disease although her scales do seems like they're about to pop off. Apart from looking huge and slight swimming diffuculty (due to huge belly) she seems normal.

Do I need to try and spawn her again or is it safe to leave her?

Thanks. :D

if she had dropsy her scales would be poking out.. looking like a little fish christmas tree!

:)

know this from experience...unfortunatly had a couple die from it

she just sounds like she egg laden.... if the gets over full they should just drop..specially if you have a male outside the net to entice her..

you could try spawn her.. but she prob too big for the male to wrap around... so she might endup getting hurt

id let her drop them then try spawn her after that

goodluk

are her scales rather inflamed and poking out?

post a pik up if you can :)

ive seen a few cases of dropsy lately... ive decided to cease feeding bloodworms for now ....

have hada few cases lately... just been feeding 2or so b/w per day with other foods also

ive had about 5cases last few months... it could be a batch of b/w that arent irradiated at all .. or a batch issue

decided to not take any chances... have sent h20 samples to lab for analysis also to cover all bases..

dont think its a water issue as all my fish share same initial supply.... only thing diff is the feed.. fighters have betta pellets. and bloodworms.. occ white worms.. and brine shrimp... occ flake... cooked peas etc..

have varied diet and regular WC

the baby fry all seem perfect..so do the seperate female quaters...... only thing i can blame is bloodworms until tests come back

going by other reports on net .. others seem to have same problem :)

I sometimes feed freeze dried B.W's to my males but not usually to her, especially not recently. Compared to the picks of dropsy that I've seen, she looks fine. Her scales do protrude a tiny bit but if you saw how big she is, you'd understand. I'll try get pics tomorrow.

yeah more than likely shes just bulging :)

hopefully shel drop them soon.

ive got one ct female that hasnt been able to breed... or drop eggs

i were thinkn dropsy originally but think her egg tube is just blocked ...no matter what happens she wont drop them...

kinda annoying cos shes pretty nice lookin

If females get too fat they won't breed as the egg tube (ovipositor) becomes obstructed by the fat. Unofortunately if that happens they will not be able to release the eggs either and will become eggbound. As I've said before the only time my fighters get dropsy is if I feed bloodworms and then its never just one fish but two or three within about 10 days. No bloodworms - no dropsy! But then again others feed it everyday and if their fighters get dropsy they aren't saying. :D Its a fine fine line between conditioning and aiding their early demise ime.

yeah thats exactly what im thinkning too :(

unfortunately couple of mine got it during the conditioning process.. but they have been having the odd one or two during feeds before that ..

so think im going to only use them carefully for conditioning.. and maybee as a treat every 10 or so days.

its such a pity cos they seem to really like them! oh well!

ive been told frozen grated ox heart is a really good source of protein and a real good food... apar it can foul the water fast if you over feed tho... going to give it a go and see results..

good point bout the female being egg bound due to being a fatty :) spose a good diet wouldnt go a stray if she is rather big that way mite get eggs flowing?

for being all blocked up you need to reduce diet intake..

prob a change of diet wouldnt hurt to try clean her out...

supposidly cooked mashed peas frees them up and speeds up process

think what your looking at doing is dropping the fat level around the body so it unresticts the egg tube

so then they can flow freely..

although this can be a diffucult task as im still trying to get a ct of mine to drop her eggs for first time.. i feel like geting a pin and relieving the pressure! she is literally massive!

Yeah but they got deleted. The scales were sticking out so I'm going with Dropsy.

Now I have one fighter left and he's top notch.

(flushn..burying) :P

Flushing?! How could you say such a thing?

Nah, she had a joint "funeral" with my CTPK Cambo that was euthinaised last night.