Anyone a glass cutter?

SamH

Barrie is our resident glass guru.

His knowledge is evenly disseminated through all these threads.

:oops: Gesh

I owe you a beer

Sam

Any glass cutter can cut glass

Im more than happy to help but Im in west auckland (well in Napier at this moment)

depends on what you call expensive

Keep in mind that who ever is cutting it needs to charge you as thats the way they put food on the table

sounds like you have about 10 minutes work

It would be all care taken but as glass is breakable, if it does break they cant or wont be responsible

If I dont know someone, I will charge $5 but if there is quite a lot, maybe $10 depending on the persons attitude

Not a bad idea to charge by the meter though with a minimum charge

Your off cuts cost us to dump for you as well at about $80 per bin full

There's actually a piece I need to use that has a slice out of it for a HOB Filter. I was going to use on of the offcuts to seal that up.

Got it sorted now, just got to wait for the Acrylic to arrive.

Thanks everyone :D

Maybe I don't have it sorted... :oops:

There's one peice of glass that is 30cm x 30cm BUT it has a 20cm long x 3-4cm high slot cut out of the top for a HOB filter to go. Can I just stick another peice of glass on this and seal it up or will I have to make the tank 3 or 4 cm shorter?

And, can I make this tank sit next to one of my other tanks and have them share the same water without any drilling?

Thanks

syphon1bp2.jpg

it is called a syphon overflow

it needs to be filled with water to make it function

water is passed from one tank to the other and flows back through pipe

it is susceptible to air getting in it and restricting the flow or it failing

wich means one empty tank and a wet floor if you don't keep an eye on it

I have made siphon based overflows to join 3 tanks together to share one heater, I have found the u-bend that comes with canister filters the best for it I then use an internal filter with a small diameter pipe jammed in it to pump the water into the far tank (over a heater) and it overflows back into the other 2 tanks.

I use 2 overflows per tank to minimize the risk of tanks overflowing and also have the filter set at a height in its tank that if too much water gets pumped out of that tank it cavitates and stops pumping so I theoretically can never have an overflow.

I also find giving the overflows a tap every day blows out any air (doesn't happen very often) or crud that has gathered in them.

• 1 month later...

from a glass merchants point of view, you cant do it but there will be plenty on here that will say that with a copper pipe and carboundum paste, you can do it.

They will be correct

It will take hours and there is at least a 50/50 chance of breaking but they will be correct, it can be done

I wouldnt