black background

Zayne

i put a black rubbish bag behind mine to see what it was like and it makes a huge difference, makes all the colours of the fish and the green of the plants stand out, try it....

Yep. Try experimenting for yourself with a black rubbish bag and see what you think. But don't try using the black rubbish bag as your permanent background! I tried that and it all stretched out of shape and ended up wrinkly. Then from the front the wrinkles looked like cracks in the glass. Not a relaxing sight! :lol:

wasnt someone using black rubbish bag/plastic, and cooking oil to stick it on? failing that, you could probably rub plastic bag antil it got enough static and see if it will cling to the glass?

Hmmm... that may have been me if it was aaaages ago...

I do use cooking oil to stick my backgrounds on. Just a clear, flavourless oil (like sunflower or canola) brushed onto the plastic backing, then press it against the glass and push the bubbles out using a ruler or a credit card or similar. It works well for a really dark black background. When you peel it off (years later in my case) the oil will have gone sticky but any residue is easily removed using solvent.

Go to your nearest art supplies store and get a piece of Black A1 Cardboard, tapes up easily, doesn't crease and looks really good. Probably cost you about $5 to $7 and will last as long as you don't spill water on it :].

I have tried that but I inevitably spill water on it (even just the condensation dripping out from under the lids when I remove them) and the backing ends up all streaky. But maybe that's just me! If you sealed the top edge with tape you might have more luck than I did...

400mm-cube-1.jpg

The background is black - honest!

I used black Contact, the self adhesive stuff you usually put in the bottom of shelves or drawers. It probably wouldn't be any good if you were trying to put it on a tank close to the wall, though, it was enough of a problem getting it onto the back of the tank with it laying front down and the back facing up!

It's a 400mm cube that I made myself, 70w HM lighting, Co2 and daily ferts.

Yup, hairgrass in the front.

I have since broken it down and re set it up as a Killie biotope, but it is not looking too hot at the moment, and the Harigrass won't grow without the Co2, but if I reinstate that, then I think my Val may melt.

Not yet sorry, it hasn't quite filled in. When it gets thick then I'd be more than happy to ship some out to you.

If you have trouble sourcing it then maybe try these guys. Don't know if they're any good but the claim to have Hair Grass.

http://www.aquariumplants.co.nz/index.html

(Hairgrass) http://www.aquariumplants.co.nz/cart_pr ... =HAIRGRASS LIVE PLANT