Breeding rainbowfish?

BigBossPants

I'm thinking about getting a breeding pair/group of some kind of small rainbowfish. I have a 45L planted tank with an Aquis CF500, currently housing 3 small Bristlenose Catfish and 1 small Flying Fox.

Species I'm interested in are the Threadfin Rainbow (Iriatherina werneri), Signifer Rainbow (Pseudomugil signifer), Celebes Rainbow (Telmatherina ladigesi), Dwarf rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox), Gertrudes Blue-Eye (Pseudomugil gertrudae).

Which of these species would be most suited to this size tank, and what is involved with breeding it? Hard/soft water? Plant species? Male/female ratio?

I think I've got Pseudomugil gertrudae and they're really awesome. They're not the most colourful fish but they're bright blue eyes are cool. I haven't bred them yet as they're still young but when I do I'll be using a spawning mop, I think I've got 2 males 2 females but I'm not sure yet so will have to wait and see. I'll probably try breeding them in a 25ltr tank and mmight pick the eggs off the mop or move the parents to a different tank if the eggs get crushed as you pick them off the mop. The other ones I like are the Threadfins which seem pretty peaceful.

Threadfin Rainbow (Iriatherina werneri)

Signifer Rainbow (Pseudomugil signifer),

Dwarf rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox),

Gertrudes Blue-Eye (Pseudomugil gertrudae).

They are all suitable in small numbers. Not all at same time though.

They spawn into mops or clumps of moss suspended just below water surface.

Feed up on live foods and do coldwater changes. Gets mine going every time.

They spawn in the morning. Eggs are very adhesive. Remove mop daily and place into seperate fry tank, replacing with another mop as the fish spawn over a few days. I have four mops used in rotation.

Fry are tiny and require micro sized food. I feed green water and infusoria. Moving up to decap BS and microworms.

Daphnia are great for feeding. Rainbows do like a bit of greenery in their diet also.

HTH

any other questions please feel free to ask

I have 6-8 each of Boesemani, Dwarf Neons, Madagascars in my 4ft community tank and they live happily with Angels, Gourami, Mollies, GBA's, Cories, Black Phantom tetra and Clown Loaches

Simon...Thanks for the tips on breeding...about to give it a try so very handy :wink::bow:

have just got 6 dwarf rainbows - 4 girls and 2 boys, about an hour after hitting the tank they were already showing off to the girls and flaring their fins at each other. Really active and pretty fish.

Will have to try adding a breeding mop to my community tank I think! would be awesome to breed some :D

I decided to go with the threadfins :D I got a pair today.

Got to get the LFS to order me some moss and then we'll be away! Would you recommend a m:f ratio or 1:2 or 1:3? Or are pairs ok?

Do they have to be a certain size before they'll breed? My girl is pretty tiny at the moment.

Where does one find green water and infusoria?

I decided to go with the threadfins :D I got a pair today.

Got to get the LFS to order me some moss and then we'll be away! Would you recommend a m:f ratio or 1:2 or 1:3? Or are pairs ok?

Do they have to be a certain size before they'll breed? My girl is pretty tiny at the moment

Nice , Threadfins are neat.

Just remember, small fish mean tsmall fry with tiny bellies. You will need to feed them microscopic infusoria, so have plenty available.

I have had success with 1 male 2 female. With larger Rainbows I have used 1 male 1 female , and also a larger group. All successful.

Make some mops out of synthetic wool. Buy it at $2 type shops or Redshed.

Wrap around a book about 20-40 times. Cut at one end and tie in middle.

Easy.

Ah I see, like a pompom :D I saw something on TM called 'live food replacement diet' which comes in 100-200 micron sizes. Would this be suitable to feed fry or does it need to be even smaller? Or live?

If you can see it, then its probably too big,LOL

Live food is better, does not pollute the water as fast unless you use BBS.

Green water first then infusoria. Daphnia and/or BBS an microworms as they get bigger.