Red Spot Severums eating their eggs

purplecatfish

Can anyone give me some tips to stop the female severum eating her eggs?

I've got 2 pairs in a five foot tank (approx 400 litres) with a pile of driftwood dividing the tank into two areas. The fish can move between them but the submissive pair don't go on the dominant pair's side. The tank is planted and there are no other fish in the tank except the 4 severums

Anyway the dominant pair have spawned 5 times but by the end of day three all the eggs have been eaten by the female.

I guess I could take the rock off her and put it in another tank with a tiny filter putting current over it (and maybe a bit of meth blue)? But I'd prefer to have the fry grow up in the parent's tank as I like to watch a more natural process in my tanks.

Any hints or ideas?

She is probably feeling threatened with having the other Sevs in the Tank, so that will be why she is eating them.

I would pop Mum and Dad into a Seperate Tank while they are Breeding, let them have the Eggs until they are at the Free Swimming Stage, then pop Mum and Dad into the Main Tank, where they were.

And raise the Fry on your own.

Feed with BBS or Microworms, do lots of small water changes and they should be all good.