Guppy problems

AquaVitamins

I have had this Guppy for about 4 months. she started showing signs of pregnancy for about 40-50 days and im starting to worry - she looks huge! and has been that way for about 20-30 days. Her color has started fading from a deep purple to a much lighter shade. And her tail and anal fins have turned white... :-? :-? Also i have noticed her lapping at the surface after all the food has gone. But it isnt like she is gulping for air, so it might not be related... Duno X/

HELP :o

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know, there seems to be a few people lately with guppys going way overdue.

My golden guppy went 6-7 weeks before birthing and she too was huge. She didn't lose colour but was mouthing a lot like she was looking for food.

When she finally did have some fry ,they were very big and only about 14 came out and she is still huge. That was two weeks ago and she looks like she could pop at any moment.

One thing I have noticed.. is my due guppies give birth within hours of a water change. ... soemtimes even during! Did my weekly water change today , and afterwards found two more newborn fry , so they might be hers .

I too have been having trouble with my pregnant Guppies :-?

They seem to get really big, so big they look like they are going to pop, they then develop this Hunch Back look about them, quite often I lose them a few days to a week after the Hunch Back thing appears.

I do Water Changes in this Tank everyday at the moment, so I'm not putting it down to the Water Quality.

Any ideas why I'm having this problem.

Yes it could possibly be an epidemic! I have similar problems and I have thousands of the little blighters. However I have found by improving water quality The problem has become less of a problem ( still not totally sorted ) but working on the issue in hand.

I had a swordtail do this as well. She seemed to run over time by a couple of weeks and then I came out one morning and she was floating at the surface. She looked fine the day before and all I could put it down to was complications from trying to give birth. I also wondered about trying to perform a cesarian but I don't know how long she was dead for and I wouldn't know if I was just cutting any fry in half...

oh dear, what happened?

Well she when up and out the pipe, kinda like Augustus Gloop in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' but then to add to the trama i scooped her out and put her back into the tank. I then continued to pour a bucket of fresh water right on top of her... :( ( not really thinking about what i was doing)

Just going out on a limb here but : stress + ph change + temp change = death... ? :-? :o:cry:

Lesson of the day : dont multi task :)

what do you class as crooked back lyndyloo?

Here's my golden girl .. is she crooked?

BikBok-ggaug09sb4eb-202.jpg

BikBok-ggaug09sb1eb-m3q.jpg

BikBok-ggaug09-wnw.jpg

I don't think her spine looks too bad but she developed a a sort of little little dent behind her head when she became heavily pregnant. She never had that when she was younger.

What is it with these Crooked Backed Guppies :o

Mine aren't born like it, they only seem to develop it when they are overdue with their Fry, really still has me stumped :roll:

oh I just realised you think I said "Crooked Fry" but I said Over - cooked.. as in overdue.. sorry, for the confusion. the fry look great! half are golden just like mama (they will be girls) and the other half the std greyish looking fry which i really hope will be snakeskins. !

Hmmm, on the topic of crooked backs I just did a google and came across info saying insufficient lighting can lead to calcium Vit D deficicency which can cause a crooked spine.

I guess in the case of pregnant guppies, they have higher calcium needs and combined with poor lighting could lead to ricketts.