How to feed your bottom feeding fish like plecos

phoenix44

Not sure if this should be in the catfish section or here. I suppose here it reaches a wider audience.

Now sit down lads and lasses while I take you through a fascinating tale of how you can feed your bottom feeders like cories, loaches, and best of all those plecos we all love so much. :D

Step 1:

You have to get a fresh courgette (you do not have to extravagantly display it for the camera) :D

1Small.jpg

Step 2:

Take a sharp knife to said courgette and make a lateral incision slicing said vegetable in half :lol:

2Small.jpg

Step 3:

Take an assortment of bottom feeder pellets and poke them into the courgette.

I have used Hikari bottom feeder pleco tabs, tetra min bottom feeder tabs, and nutrafin pleco logs (new food).

3Small.jpg

4Small.jpg

Don't forget to put some food in the skin, as some fish eat the green bit too.

5Small.jpg

I prefer to just cut up the courgette, boil it for about 5 minutes in the microwave(Realistically, put in microwave, set for 5 minutes and then remember it half an hour later).

No need to worry about weighting it down, no fluffing around trying to poke pellets into it, just throw them straight in the tank.

I prefer to just cut up the courgette, boil it for about 5 minutes in the microwave(Realistically, put in microwave, set for 5 minutes and then remember it half an hour later).

No need to worry about weighting it down, no fluffing around trying to poke pellets into it, just throw them straight in the tank.

but that's no fun! :o :lol:

Phoenix, your method definitely looks like fun!

I prefer to stick a teaspoon in the courgette because I don't like the idea of fishies poking themselves with sharp things like tweezers (and I don't let them run with scissors either :lol: )

But I have never tried sticking other food in there - might be an extra bit of fun for me!

every time i drop a piece of hikari in the tank the big clown loach takes it and swims all around the tank until it dissolves. least this way they all can eat their hikari! :lol:

My biggest loach takes it and hides in her cave with it. :roll:

my plec gets carrot (which he leaves till last) cucumber, and courgette.

i love watchinghim try to eat the cucumber when he makes a ring out of it, he goes round in circles (the cucumber floats slightly) trying to eat the middle, or he takes it into his cave and you just see his tail swishing as e forces it up against the back glass. :lol:

We have two distinct circus rides that happen with smaller slices of courgette floating on the surface.

1. The merry-go-round where 2 or 3 little Bristlenoses all latch onto it and end up spinning round in the water like a carousel. If it was me in there I'd get dizzy and throw up!

2. The rising/sinking tide. Depending on variables the carousel will start to slowly sink when more BNs join in. The downwards drift reverses when one decides to go elsewhere. Up and down. I have had my 77 year old father sit in front of the tank and count the number of up-downs in a rowfor us (he was loving it). 12 cycles before the teenagers enthusiasm diminished and some of them went looking for algae.

:D

that's a stunning tank :bow:

makes me want to try cichlids

have you got a full front pic of it?

good idea too, i'll have to try it out with my bristlenoses :)

yeh I have lots of pics! :lol: there is only a 22page thread about this tank, but here is another 2 pics I just took.

Thanks for the complement :D

DSC05718Small.jpg

DSC05702Small.jpg

• 1 year later...