Chocolate Zeb has a new home

jamosfish

Why do I need to find the L-no.? It's L270 if you were wondering lol
:D :bounce:

oh yay.

L 270 - now I need to get me some of those.

you should also post up a pic (or 10) of them in their tank / habitiat pretty please :lol:

do they eat courgette as well as the others?

I know very little about fancy plecs, but what's stopping someone like jamosfish from getting half a dozen L270's and breeding hundreds of them? Do all the expensive ones have unique and difficult to reproduce breeding habits?

Ask Jamos- He probably saw dozens of them when he bought those ones.

The thing is that They aren't like bristlenoses where they will breed "in a Bucket" at 1 yr old.

Jamos's two fish came from a group of 270's that were grown up for 3 yrs and his are 2-21/2 yrs away from breedable age, he will certainly need more than those two to get some type of 2-3 yr project to get dozens of babies in his tanks.

The Hypans and other plecs in Aussie aren't officially allowed there( L46 was smuggled there from here 10yrs ago), and the price for fancy plecs there is way more than here.

Even if the zebs here breed in large numbers they will still command high prices.

yes they will command high prices even if they are bred well over here. as said before the fish have to be older and conditioned will to breed. - and if capitalist hounds like me have any thing to say about it - the prices will stay up and that should hopefully encourage responsible breeding. then again on the other hand it could very well encourage irresponsible breeding.

who knows any more :lol:

If prices are high, it tends to encourage the money hungry breeders who are out for a quick buck. I have seen it in all manner of dog breeds and seen them destroyed. I see no reason why it would be different here. They don't have as large spawns as common bristlenoses and are more delicate so I imagine they could become relatively common but I doubt they will become as common as common BNs. I have seem some in Auckland in Animates and they want $140 for them and they are probably only 5cm. I thought that was pretty rude. I would like to get a few decent females though, that seems to be the real challenge with any of these plecos. If I could get a definite female I would be pretty stoked.

Talk to the retailer then and complain about the crazy mark up they put on them.

They are now been locally bred ( only in the last 9 mths ) and retailers are buying the zebs at way less than that but know they can historically charge those prices.

If they were not being locally bred they wouldn't even be in that shop due to export/import regs.

I'd be buying 6 juvis like Jamos for $200-$250 rather than a definite larger female for the same price, and eventually breed my own as long as I realise that I'm yrs away from breeding and by that time, they may have greatly reduced in price, but thanks to someone who spent megabucks on them yrs ago I had the chance.

Ditto

Most peple dont realise the expense incurred to purchase and breed some of these fancy plecs.

and dont forget this is purely experimental stuff often.

I am trying to assemble a breeding group of my L067? plecs I am fortunate enough to get mature ones of I hope both sexes (due to some fluke) yet it will still cost me approx $500 for three, plus a entire new 3' setup, I'd expect that if by some miracle I can get a spawn out of them in year 1 it will take at least another year to grow enough F1's to sell on.

These guys are cheap in comparison to what Mr Pleco would have had to invest to get his Choc's to a point of being able to sell them on.

We dont do it to get rich quick..or even slow :roll: we do it to secure the strains in NZ for others and hopefully get enough $$ to get another group going.

Keep up the good work those who are working hard on this and update the pleco list at teh top of this section when you can be bothered...I need to :oops:

Owen

• 2 weeks later...