What could I make out of this..?

SamH

I have a few spare sheets of glass from tank lids gone wrong and was wondering if I could stick them together and make another tank?

The sizes are (in MM):

1x 300x270

1x 300x300

1x 350x350

1x 350x320

1x 350x300

Glass.jpg

How could I use these to the best of their advantage? Is cutting glass tricky?

Looks like you can make a tank that is 350x300x300.

basically use the larges pieces for the front and back. The 350x300 is ready to go, but the other 350x350 would have to be trimmed back so that it is the same dimensions. Then, for the sides, the 300x300 is ready to go, but the 350x320 would also have to be trimmed back. You would be left not using the 300x270 at all (unless you want a part lid).

You can by a glass scorer from a hardware store. Basically you just score the glass where you want it to be cut using the help of ruler or something else that is straight. Then you apply pressure to the piece against the corner of a table or use some glass pliers to 'bite' off pieces and the glass should split right along the line . I've done this with smaller pieces of glass and tiles but I don't know how hard it would be on a large piece or what type of glass this is. I'm sure there are vids on youtube showing this process.

HOWEVER, the glass edges will be really sharp...

I would recommend taking the pieces to a glass repair shop where they can cut it to the dimensions you need and also bevel the edges so you don't cut yourself!

I bought a glass cutter tool from Bunnings, the meatl wheel kind. I dipped it in some cooking oil and ran it along a straight edge on a small piece of glass and tried to break it, that didn't work. So I tried to run it along several times and then tried to break it, didn't work. I tried to make a score but even that didn't work.

What do I need to do exactly?

old glass is brittle and will break easily, its also pretty hard to cut small strips off (ie 50mm or less).

Put it on a table with a towel or somethin under it and score along a straight edge pushing until you can feel it scoring/grinding then hold the offcut piece over the edge of the table and give it a firm push.

should just go "tink" and break off, if its not scored well it will break funny tho.

IME the best cutters are the type with a tiny wheel on the end.

wear strong gardening gloves or you will end up like me at the doctors rooms getting a gash in your finger fixed :oops:

I did find that cutting glass is easier with a rotary tool with a diamond wheel (aka a dremel), especially if it is toughened glass. And then it cuts your finger very effectively.

especially if it is toughened glass. And then it cuts your finger very effectively.

If you managed to cut toughened glass you were extremely lucky to the point of maybe 10million to one or the glass was not toughened

Toughened glass is made by shrinking the outside surfaces which puts the inside of the glass under presure, When the outside surface is damaged (cut) the inside releases the presure and breaks

Im guessing that although your glass may well of have the mark on it, it may well have missed the toughening process?

In 41 years, I have never been able to cut toughened glass by traditional cutter, diamond saws or even alpha cutting (water lazor) although it is sometimes (rearly) able to grind a couple of mm of the edge

Tried to score it, didn't work. Tried many times again with all the different techniques you could think of, didn't work.

I'll either take it to a glass cutter or just order a tank.

better still you can buy another piece of glass and make a proper tank :D

I have 5 peices, Aquilam_11 just thought he saw 4.

Tried to score it, didn't work. Tried many times again with all the different techniques you could think of, didn't work.

I'll either take it to a glass cutter or just order a tank.

I have 5 peices, Aquilam_11 just thought he saw 4.

You are best to have 6 peices for a real tank (assuming you want it to have a lid :wink:)

I mean I'm not allowed to buy anymore tanks, I think I can make one.

Do you reckon a glass cutter will charge? If so, how much?

I really like the idea of a "Nano" blackwater tank. You know the sort Phoenix, the one with the tea brown, not so clear water? :D :lol:

I used carbon on my first tank for about 4 months. Replaced it every month. Decided not to and I've never looked back. All it does is mask deeper problems, if there's a bacterial bloom I'd like to see it. You can't beat the colours and behavious of Neons in a black water tank.

I used carbon on my first tank for about 4 months. Replaced it every month. Decided not to and I've never looked back. All it does is mask deeper problems, if there's a bacterial bloom I'd like to see it. You can't beat the colours and behavious of Neons in a black water tank.

Absolutely agree, I have saltwater tanks for the crystal clear water, and a heavily planted tank that is pretty yellow, very overstocked, overfiltered, and underfed. All the fish are fat and happy, and I do 1 water change every 6 months or so.