NEWBIE ALERT!

livebearer_breeder

alright i think ive have said that i would love a marine setup. well i been thinkin about it and i now know exactly what i want to do!!

1# wondering if any1 has breed clown fish before??? as that is the only thing i want, and wouldnt mind having a crack at breeding them!! but i am getting ahead of myself!

2# i want to setup a marine tank nothing bigger than 3 foot

3# as i have said total newbie, wouldnt mind a list of what im going to need and prices!

4# where would i get this stuff as have never seen any marine gear in wellington pet stores!!

Any advice would be gratly appreciated!!

Cheers Shae

I think there are some importers here that can supply you. You should learn how to maintain a marine tank before you even think about breeding fish. As for the equipment I think it depends on what type of tank you want, reef, fish only. You will have to buy water salt and additives for the water but ask someone else how much they cost. Also alot of test kits. Go with the biggest tank you can for the fact that the water will be more stable, you maybe could even have a sump.

If only I lived in figi or the philippines again then I could go catch my own fish.

1# wondering if any1 has breed clown fish before??? as that is the only thing i want, and wouldnt mind having a crack at breeding them!! but i am getting ahead of myself!

A few people have breed them and raised fry in NZ. Getting them to the point to lay eggs is fairly common, the hard part is rasing the fry.

2# i want to setup a marine tank nothing bigger than 3 foot.

If you just keeping a pair of clowns, this is ample. I use to keep a pair of percs in a 2x1x1.

3# as i have said total newbie, wouldnt mind a list of what im going to need and prices!

A 3 foot set up for clowns, nothing fancy needed at all. I would perhaps use a canister filter (I like the eheim brand, expensive but nice) and regular water change (once a month?).

Another option is to go with a overflow and a bare sump. You can chuck bio-balls (or whatever media you choose) in the bulkhead and the heater in the sump. Then if you want to head toward reef, you can do away with the media (replced with live rock) and and a skimmer in the sump, add lighting and power heads for water movement and your done.

either way with cannister or overflow/sump will probable be in the same cost.

Prices? depends on what brand you buy.

The high end marine equipment is more geared towards reef keeping where water parameters seem crucial for good coral growth, not to mention water movement and light and a bucket load of additives for coral supplements and on it goes. Fish only on the other hand is fairly low tech.

4# where would i get this stuff as have never seen any marine gear in wellington pet stores!!

Don't live in Wellington so can't help you there.

Of course, everybody has a different way of doing things but If your doing a 3 footer with clowns, you don't need anything flash.

Cheers

Andrew

There is a book called The Marine Aquarium Handbook by Martin A Moe. It has a good section on breeding marine fish.

To keep the clowns happy you need a sea anemone. Keeping this alive is harder than keeping the clowns alive. Researh the anemone before you buy it. Most like good water flow. Some like VERY strong water flow. I have a gigas anemone that sits under protein skimmer return pipes and also has a powerhead blowing on it. Depending on the type you will need moderate to very intense light. If you can find a copy of The Reef Aquarium vol.2 it has most anemone types and the conditions they require.

.....To keep the clowns happy you need a sea anemone. ......

Going to have to agree and disagree with this one.

I would have to say that clown can also be kept without anemones, alive and healthy and breeding.

It also depends on the type of clown you keep as to their dependancy on a anemone. Some clowns aren't to fussed what they use as a host. Some are quite happy with a larger hairy mushroom. I kepy my percs without an anemone with no problems, thet seemed happy as long as i put some food in the tank on a very regular basis.

Some anemones are easy to keep to. I will have to quantify this by adding if you know what you are doing and monitoring and maintaining your tank proper.

I would have to say that keeping clowns is the most rewarding when they are kept with a host anemone as company.

Seeing as recommending books, if your particulary interested in clowns

"Clownfishes" by Joyce D Wilkerson is an excellent book for this. Cover ALL aspects on clown fish as well as host anemones etc. I recommend this to be you first purchase into keeping clowns!

" :( " too criptic for me to interpet.

Cheers

Andrew

I agree with AW, a sea anemone is not important for the clownfish at all. Lots of people breed clowns without these pesky anemones in there tank.

Interesting though, some anemones have a larger chance of success with clowns living in them, particualry H.Magnifica.

Interesting.

Pies