DIY Metal Halide?

SamH

I'm looking at getting a Metal Halide system to grow high light plants and wondering how I'd put it all together.

It's a second hand unit, once used in a workshop and comes with a power supply (I'm guessing that's the Ballast) and the lights. No plug to mains though. I was thinking of mounting the light in a hood, having a couple of mirrors as reflectors and having a cold air intake fan at the front and a warm air outtake fan at the back. Then I'd like to run the Ballast underneath the aquarium and finally plug it into mains power.

Question 1: How would I attach a plug (extension lead)?

Question 2: How would I run the two fans?

Question 3: What should I make the hood out of?

Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda ghetto, but should work

12v power supply and a couple PC case fans should work.

Wood.

Might be worth stopping by your local hydroponic weed supply shop and see if they have an appropriate sized reflector.

BTW, I'm assuming it's single ended MH, a double ended you'll also need to figure out how to put some UV blocking glass around the light.

the 100w bulbs will be a really yellow light you cant get them above 4200k and they are over 100 to replace,

you would be better off with a double ended 70W then you can buy cheap bulbs in aquarium specific colour temperatures

Seriously Sam if you have much more than 2wpg/ or more than ~18W on 27L you will soon descend into an algal abyss. lol. IME there is no faster way than with too much MH light over a tank to incite the algal infestation.

But I do wish you luck.

One nano planted, if you use the right sized plants, is a grand sight.

Your biggest problem is maintaining a balance of everything in such a small environment.

I'm looking at getting a Metal Halide system to grow high light plants and wondering how I'd put it all together.

This is a great idea and your plants will do well, when you consider how strong the light is in the plants natural environment I don't think you will be over doing it. Just so long as you also remember that you need to to balance the light with nutrients and CO2

It's a second hand unit, once used in a workshop and comes with a power supply (I'm guessing that's the Ballast) and the lights. No plug to mains though. I was thinking of mounting the light in a hood, having a couple of mirrors as reflectors and having a cold air intake fan at the front and a warm air outtake fan at the back. Then I'd like to run the Ballast underneath the aquarium and finally plug it into mains power.

Mirrors wont work, unless the glass in toughened the heat will break it.

The need to fans will depend on the hood design, a lot of marine tanks use Mh lights but don't need fans to keep them cool. Remember that a Mh light will only produce the same heat as the same wattage of fluorescent lights, what makes it seem like so much more is that it concentrated in one spot instead of spread over the length of a tube.

To be honest,if you need to ask this you shouldn't be doing the work. 240v and water don't mix, you need to know what you are doing.

By far the cheapest and easiest way to run a fan is to buy a $10 mains one from the warehouse

Wood is the only good option really. Plywood is probaly the best bet for strength, water resistance, and ease.

To be honest,if you need to ask this you shouldn't be doing the work. 240v and water don't mix, you need to know what you are doing.

leagally as the owner of the appliance he can electrically do what he wants with it.

but yes you can use an extention cord by cutting the socket end off.

if the unit already has labeling clearly showing what way and where the connections are you should be alrite, aslong as your armed with a multimeter

Also, I've got some new lids made to replace the ill fitting glass ones.

They're 2mm acrylic, will the heat from a metal halide bulb melt that?

And I'm going to divide up a tank into four sections, do I need to silicone the acrylic in or can I do it some other way?

Sweet. I just moved the 8w T5 off the Nano and put on a cool daylight (I think) energy saver, looks heaps better and brighter.

I'm looking at getting 3 or 4 fittings to put over the 3ft tank, where can I buy these cheaply?

I know the Warehosue sells desk lamps for $10 but then I'd have to take it all apart.

Sweet. I just moved the 8w T5 off the Nano and put on a cool daylight (I think) energy saver, looks heaps better and brighter.

I'm looking at getting 3 or 4 fittings to put over the 3ft tank, where can I buy these cheaply?

I know the Warehosue sells desk lamps for $10 but then I'd have to take it all apart.

Go to an electrical wholesaler for parts

http://fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52