The hairgrass project (Updates on page 3)

SamH

Here's a pic of my 27L Nano Planted Betta Tank on the 16th of June 2009:

IMG_3724.jpg

And here's it now:

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

I removed the CO2 bell as I was seeing no positive results. The grass has spread a bit and I've added some more. I need to get a new lid (if anyone has a spare lid for a 40x25 aquarium or perspex please contact me) and a new light tube. Please advise on what looks good/bad and what I could do to improve it.

Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I have a special kind? It thrives under useless light where even Polysperma is failing. Hoping it'll fill in a bit. Does anyone trim theirs?

He seems to love it. 27L of space but most of the time he does head first dives into the grass and sits there for ages.

I like Nano tanks! This one fits perfectly on the shelf next to my hospital tank, great contrast lol. Then there's my 85L breeder below, I don't think I need any bigger tanks at this stage.

But seriously, I can't find any 8w T5's anywhere. :cry:

nothing wrong with smaller tanks!

It gives those of us with space constraints a chance to enjoy the hobby too.. so that has to be a good thing!

I get the impression sometimes that if we have smaller tanks , we get looked at as "novice" or not true aquarists lol. Well I am a novice because of my short history but I reckon I've learned a lot already. Just a shame I can't fit a bigger tank anywhere in my home.

nothing wrong with small tanks at all!

nanos can be amazingly hard to maintain and as such a true planted nano is a task for the more experienced aquarists.

the need more maintenance, often can be more expensive as if you really want a real nano that is planted and life like, you need to invest in real good lighting, perfect looking substrate, the perfect plants, and most importantly great filtration.

If i set up a nano for someone it usually has an eheim 2213 running on it, is always rimless and usually has t5's suspended above it.

not a cheap task i must say.

much harder to maintain as there is less water and so more room for error as the concentration of pollutants may be higher in a smaller volume of solution.

plus the visual impact of some nanos are absolutely amazing.

Will do. I need to change my plants though. I just threw all my plants from my 130L into there, so have some hairgrass (i hate it) an amazon sword, some hygros and a java fern.

Will probably switch the javafern for a crypt and get some pygmy swords or something for the front.

Found my BN on the floor this morning :( obviously didnt like my plants either. Or the Oscar...

Heres my Nano. 20L.

I moved the plants to the sides to provide room as its a bit full with fish at the moment.

Got 3 baby angels growing out in one container, and the Giant betta is in the other container as my Oscar is using it as a hospital tank at the moment. Hard to photo when just dosed with methyline blue lol.

I will have some plants for you once my 250 is setup. Maybe a few java ferns, some Hygro and an amazon sword. Will PM you when im certain.

fish005.jpg

fish006.jpg

fish008.jpg

nanof.jpg

Just did a waterchange and shuffled it around a bit. added a plantpot. Lol.

for the purpose of the pics I let the fighter out... he was chasing the oscar round and round. :lol:

and check out the baby golden angels. hard to get a decent pic though. 3 left from a whole spawn :(

nano001.jpg

nano002.jpg

nano003.jpg

nano004.jpg

nano005.jpg