New to the Site

fishlover2009

Hi there.

I am new to the site. Last weekend I went to pick up a tank in Papatoetoe and would like to thank the member who introduced me to this site. I have a wide range of fresh water tropical fish. In total I have around 11 tanks in my house and am in the process of getting a seperate fish house built for them. :D The fish in my tank varies from 3cm Neons to abot 40cm Oscar. I have recently set up a tank for Discus as well and am very excited about it. I can't wait to transfer my fish to their new home. :bounce: will post photos one the setup is complete.

As for driftwood, many suggest going down to a local beach and collecting you're own but I like the pet store stuff better. Here's a great article that Caryl wrote: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=driftwood

Sam do you know of any LFS that sell smooth driftwood? I've only been able to find dry wrapped rough wood that flakes off for a while when it';s first in the tank. I much prefer the smoother wood which won't splinter into the soft looking bellies of a BN. I got a lovely piece sent up from a pet store in the BOP but was looking for something closer to home, and small. emphasise small. most the pieces I've seen are too big for what i want.

Something about this size or smaller: (that piece is a corner V shape)

BikBok-june09-4kx.jpg

welcome :bounce:

i urge you to put your heater lower into the water.

:D

also that ornament is fake and you are right in needing something natural :lol:

hi Phoenix44

were you talking about my photo? It was posted for sam to look at the driftwood size.. sorry to get sidetracked!

umm about the heater... the AQ one hood seems to have a space just right to hang the heater so I presumed it was the right place to put it.. plus another LFS owner urged me not to put it right under the water.. hsi actual words were" despite what other people say about these being fully submersible don't listen to them , or you'll shorten the life of your heater because the rubbers will perish and water will get in eventually" he was talking about aquaone heaters. The strange thing is... I have two other tanks where the heater is much lower in the water with only the tip of it at the water line , yet that tank in the photo has the most stable temperature and is set lower than the others to achieve the same temperature .. go figure! (same size heaters too)

The mountain cave ornament.. yeah i know it's fake, came with the tank but I like it and the fishies love it.. there are cave entrances all around it and they all swim in and out and one of the Kuhlis have made it their home while the female betta rests in there at night. haha so I'm not a purist .. but i think it looks OK !

welcomes :bounce:

bikbok the heater will be safe as long as the waterline is above the heating coil and the two spring bits that it hangs off, provided there's a good current around it to keep the hot water moving off it. The temperature detecting bit might be out of the water, so you want to make sure the hot water moves around to heat the air above it, otherwise the water will heat too fast in that spot and crack the heater before the air has warmed enough to tell it to turn off. But i have one of those tanks and they have a good current from the spray bar, plenty of water movement.

I've never heard of problems with submersing submersable heaters though? I'd think it would be safer the deeper they are. I'd expect the rubber to wear out faster in the damp hot air than in the water, and if it wears out it will fill with moisture either way.

bikbok the heater will be safe as long as the waterline is above the heating coil and the two spring bits that it hangs off, provided there's a good current around it to keep the hot water moving off it. The temperature detecting bit might be out of the water, so you want to make sure the hot water moves around to heat the air above it, otherwise the water will heat too fast in that spot and crack the heater before the air has warmed enough to tell it to turn off. But i have one of those tanks and they have a good current from the spray bar, plenty of water movement.

Just to clarify. The heater should be submurged up to the rubber top at the least. Usually they have a line on them. If the thermostat is out of the water you wont get an accurate reading and all it takes is a cold draft above the water line to fry everything.

But back to... Welcome fishlover2009, good to have you on board. Sounds like you have alot going on so would be great to see some pictures.