ID help please (new photos added)

Myah

Just inherited this little dude and know it's some sort of cichlid but not what type. Any help would be much appreciated. It is yellowy/gold with browny stripes and a silvery/pale blue patch on its gills.

cichlid4.jpg

cichlid3.jpg

cichlid2.jpg

cichlid1.jpg

Hopefully these will be better

P8020219-1.jpg

P8020251-1.jpg

P8020231.jpg

P8020238.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys, I tried making the pics bigger but they got too fuzzy.Will try and borrow a friends camera and see if can get a better pic.

When I said I inherited it, it was a case of bring it home or it was going to be disposed of. It had somehow gotten into a bag full of guppy and swordtail fry that was sent to my local LFS about 1 and half months ago from their supplier and it was so tiny you could hardly see it. The rep told the shop owner it was some sort of cichlid but he didn't know what, so she kept it to see what it would grow into but unfortunately it started to chew the guppy and other fish tails in the tank, so I ended up giving a home.

Hi again, managed to get the larger photos which I hope will help identify this wee fellow. Have been looking on different web sites to see if I can recognize it. So, could it be a malawi or mbuna? I don't know anything about these fish except a couple of photos looked like it, so any help with its care would be appreciated. I've had it approx. a month now and it's in a 1200 x 600 x 600 tank, temp round 26 / 28deg, live plants, plenty of logs and caves to hide and is getting the same food as its tank mates, which it seems to be quite happy with at the moment. I feed tropical crumble and tropical flake food. Its tank mates are 6 x 2yr old clown loaches, 4 x 2yr old striata loaches, 2 albino cory, 11 purple emperor tetra, 3 blue ram, 3 black swordtail and heaps of platy (different ages and sizes).

Yeah I would agree and say it is a hybrid zebra. They are from lake malawi and are mbuna so you were correct with those findings :) The problem with zebras is most people keep them in mixed tanks and any 2 fish can breed together, the resulting fish is a crossbreed without knowing who bred it and what 2 fish were spawned together it is next to impossible to find out exactly what it is, just treat it as a zebra and you will be fine..

However zebras are known for being quite aggressive, I would be worried about your community type fish as he grows up he would be alot better off in a mixed african type tank with others who can handle his aggression.

Thanks for the help people. Pity that the cute ones can grow up to be aggressive. Hm sounds a lot like my daughter. Will keep an eye on it and when it starts, I'll either put it in its own tank or find it a good home somewhere.

Thanks again