Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

neon tetra breeding

Featured Replies

  • Author

i see...so its too much hassle for these fish. i just thought it will be good to have tons of neons in the tank! :lol:

do you actually make money from breeding fish? i thought it just a hobby...selling them are hard

Do cardinal tetras.

They're bigger, better, and you get better returns for the probs, and just as easy to breed as neons.

Alan 104

nah just make like a metal mesh net that is big enough for fry but small enough so that the adults dont get through! put some males and females in a tank , watch them lay eggs then take them out put them in another tank and raise the fry in the other tank! thats put way to simply but its the just

Cheers Shae

anyone has a success of breeding neon tetras? what are the condition for breeding this fish...is it hard to breed them?

Partial success, got them to breed but didn't get the fry past a few weeks, main reason was I didn't have enough of them so it wasn't worth dedicating the time and resources to it.

It's very hard to make money from it, do it for yourself to have a nice big school of neons more than anything else. If you get enough to sell some then that is a bonus. Trust me, by the time you buy the foods to condition with, the extra tanks, the extra power used, the fry food (e.g brine shrimp and liquifry), you don't end up making your money back. Don't want you to get disheartened or anything, but just do it for your own personal satisfaction before anything else.

Mine first bred at pH 7.2 but only a few hatched, they seemed to get fussier after this and required a more desirable pH of 6.8 (6.5 even better) and required adding boiled peat (available from most LFS).

Basically, you put the female in in the afternoon (after a week or two of conditioning aka feeding good foods) then the male a half hour later. They will breed in the morning, keep the tank dark. Remove them after spawning.

I have also tried cardinals but no success with these, they require a much lower pH (5-6) and the fry are very fussy eaters and thus much harder to raise than neons.

HTH

Alan said...

Do cardinal tetras.

They're bigger, better, and you get better returns for the probs, and just as easy to breed as neons.

Please tell us more Alan :)

LB said...

its pritty simple jst time consuming! there egg scaterers! and yes you can make lots of money

nah just make like a metal mesh net that is big enough for fry but small enough so that the adults dont get through! put some males and females in a tank , watch them lay eggs then take them out put them in another tank and raise the fry in the other tank! thats put way to simply but its the just

I think its past your bedtime LB :)

Having spawned the Neons in the late '60's I can assure you it was 'not' simple to get the conditions right... 'nor' to raise the young.. which I might add that I had little success in doing after countless attemps :):)

There is of course many more documented spawnings of these fish these days... but it is "still" far from "simple".

at one of my LFS cardinals are about $7 each. Is this normal? or maybe it is glowlight tetra, I havnt been there for a while.

Read wot I said again

They are as easy to breed as neons

Didn't say neons were easy.

Meant that if you can breed neons, why muck around with something you only get a few cents for when you can make dollars with the same effort.

Alan 104

Sorry Alan... thought you had bred them :)

Yep.. seven bucks plus is about the price of Cardinals from the lists I have.

You could make a killing at three bux apiece LB :)

  • Author

pegasus said:

Having spawned the Neons in the late '60's I can assure you it was 'not' simple to get the conditions right... 'nor' to raise the young.. which I might add that I had little success in doing after countless attemps

There is of course many more documented spawnings of these fish these days... but it is "still" far from "simple".

i think i should give up on breeding this fish...way too hard...would rather buy a school of them!

Ah...That's the eternal question in the aquarium hobby. Any fish that's easy to breed gets to be too common to be easy to sell and any fish that's easy to sell is probably not easy to breed...:)

The last WCMM I got cost me 40C, and I was told that if I had of asked I couldhave got them for free.

never mind.

Breed killies,

they're generally easy and VERY easy to sell.

Alan 104

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.