neon tetra breeding

shiuh

nah just make like a metal mesh net that is big enough for fry but small enough so that the adults dont get through! put some males and females in a tank , watch them lay eggs then take them out put them in another tank and raise the fry in the other tank! thats put way to simply but its the just

Cheers Shae

anyone has a success of breeding neon tetras? what are the condition for breeding this fish...is it hard to breed them?

Partial success, got them to breed but didn't get the fry past a few weeks, main reason was I didn't have enough of them so it wasn't worth dedicating the time and resources to it.

It's very hard to make money from it, do it for yourself to have a nice big school of neons more than anything else. If you get enough to sell some then that is a bonus. Trust me, by the time you buy the foods to condition with, the extra tanks, the extra power used, the fry food (e.g brine shrimp and liquifry), you don't end up making your money back. Don't want you to get disheartened or anything, but just do it for your own personal satisfaction before anything else.

Mine first bred at pH 7.2 but only a few hatched, they seemed to get fussier after this and required a more desirable pH of 6.8 (6.5 even better) and required adding boiled peat (available from most LFS).

Basically, you put the female in in the afternoon (after a week or two of conditioning aka feeding good foods) then the male a half hour later. They will breed in the morning, keep the tank dark. Remove them after spawning.

I have also tried cardinals but no success with these, they require a much lower pH (5-6) and the fry are very fussy eaters and thus much harder to raise than neons.

HTH

Alan said...

Do cardinal tetras.

They're bigger, better, and you get better returns for the probs, and just as easy to breed as neons.

Please tell us more Alan :)

LB said...

its pritty simple jst time consuming! there egg scaterers! and yes you can make lots of money

nah just make like a metal mesh net that is big enough for fry but small enough so that the adults dont get through! put some males and females in a tank , watch them lay eggs then take them out put them in another tank and raise the fry in the other tank! thats put way to simply but its the just

I think its past your bedtime LB :)

Having spawned the Neons in the late '60's I can assure you it was 'not' simple to get the conditions right... 'nor' to raise the young.. which I might add that I had little success in doing after countless attemps :):)

There is of course many more documented spawnings of these fish these days... but it is "still" far from "simple".

pegasus said:

Having spawned the Neons in the late '60's I can assure you it was 'not' simple to get the conditions right... 'nor' to raise the young.. which I might add that I had little success in doing after countless attemps

There is of course many more documented spawnings of these fish these days... but it is "still" far from "simple".

i think i should give up on breeding this fish...way too hard...would rather buy a school of them!